Tired Plastic

The tail section on my 4th gen, broken tab repair after tab repair, is one crack from disaster. 

I'm curious if anyone has experience wth Air Tech replacement fairings. The replacement tail section is one piece instead of the multi piece OEM approach

• Member Contributer

Sorry, I can't provide any feedback on the Airtech cowl, but I'm mighty interested in knowing as well.  Been bedeviled by Honda's piss-poor design of the Gen4 tail cowl for years.  I've got two sets of OEM's in various stages of repair and nothing really prevents the cracks resurfacing.  Ready to move on.

I will most likely pull the trigger on an Air Tech unit as it's really the only option available right now. It looks like it's not exacly a plug in replacement, but looks doable. Trying to match the original paint color might be a beeach. I bought this bike new in 1995, still love it. All other plastic is in perfect shape.

• Member Contributer

i've joined all the pieces together into a single unit using plastifix. it looks still rough because i haven't sanded and painted it yet. i should because it's stopping me from getting my collector's plates.

Airtech is cool, and I have them, as well, but those honda tail designs need a bit of love. I did/do the plastic weld inside the tail at the seems on any and all cbrs (remember those stupid plastic pins that they had?!) and vfrs that have come my way, or in my possession. Its time consuming, but super easy. If I may add, in the plumbing section at any hardware store, there is black abs with a foam core. You cut it into 1' lengths, cut the 1' piece in half length wise, then cut into 1" wide pieces lengthwise (for more manageable, workable pieces). This is the best way I've found to repair fatigued plastics. Also, i have used metal mesh (in any automotive store) whilst doing the repair, for extended support. A weller solder gun works well. Also a 40watt stick solder iron works great too. (Using both betters your chances at success)

*please remember to do this in a ventilated area, away from your house, and possibly have a small fan blowing the smoke away from your face* I posted this method in another thread under my old screen name taglicious. 

airtech has that tail as a 'tail + cowl cover in one' i cut mine to use the entire seat, but also glassed it back together as one when I was done. Its heavy, but heavy duty, and was well loved for a couple years. It's still in good shape, and hanging in the garage. I'll take a picture of it when I get it down.  

Archived