Oberon slave cylinder - is it the real deal?

cuoccimix

Question

Hi everyone, I have a 5gen ('98) and I love it madly. I wouldn't trade my VFR for anything in the world! Unfortunately I have some problems, driving position and clutch are making it more and more difficult for me to use it for long journeys. I would like to know if the Oberon slave cylinder can make the clutch of my '98 really lighter, or if the gain is negligible. Thank you!

9 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

I have one sitting downstairs, haven't installed it yet but hoping for the same.  Will post when I do and let you know!

• Member Contributer
On 8/13/2022 at 1:46 PM, ShipFixer said:

I have one sitting downstairs, haven't installed it yet but hoping for the same.  Will post when I do and let you know!

Would like to know your thoughts too!

The enhanced piston diameter reduces the heaviness of the original clutch action and brings much relief to aching arms.

This will definately make a difference. Hard to tell by how much without knowing what diameter the oberon slave cilinder has.

• Member Contributer
On 8/13/2022 at 4:46 PM, ShipFixer said:

Same. Haven't gotten around to it. 

4 hours ago, V4 Rosso said:

This will definately make a difference. Hard to tell by how much without knowing what diameter the oberon slave cilinder has.

The piston sizes are listed in the descriptions if you go to Oberon's site. The 5th gen unit is larger than the 6th gen, which eases the lever effort. It is a worthwhile upgrade. 

I installed a 5th gen version along with a Brembo RCS master cylinder during my Torocharger install. The supercharger kit required 100lb clutch springs, and I was concerned about lever effort. My current setup with ss line is slightly lighter than stock, even with the massively heavier clutch springs. 

If you have an older original clutch slave, the Oberon is worth the $ just from a replacement and lever feel/control standpoint. Reduced lever effort will be a bonus. 

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, SEBSPEED said:

The piston sizes are listed in the descriptions if you go to Oberon's site. The 5th gen unit is larger than the 6th gen, which eases the lever effort. It is a worthwhile upgrade. 

I installed a 5th gen version along with a Brembo RCS master cylinder during my Torocharger install. The supercharger kit required 100lb clutch springs, and I was concerned about lever effort. My current setup with ss line is slightly lighter than stock, even with the massively heavier clutch springs. 

If you have an older original clutch slave, the Oberon is worth the $ just from a replacement and lever feel/control standpoint. Reduced lever effort will be a bonus. 

spacer.png

Just saying... :biggrin:

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

Soon - gotta install @SEBSPEED's old brakes before I ride it, but got it installed tonight with a Galfer braided stainless steel line. 47F79FE6-2E5E-462B-B3FF-8620926C763D.thumb.jpeg.27f2ce46bbd73656d69b4d77457db837.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Finally got to ride mine to and from work a few times.  This is about two years after installing a new Honda slave cylinder so it is back to back.  Yes...a lot less effort, this upgrade is a win!  

Clutch engagement zone or sweep is wider too.  I didn't have any issues with the OEM cylinder being grabby or difficult to modulate, but this may be a thing for some riders.

Archived