My custom VFR build, what do you think?

Been a while since I've been on here, but I am now onto my 3rd VFR, but this one is a custom build, a 4th gen

The build video is posted on Youtube

Yes it has 110k miles, yes I bought it almost running for $400

Some would say I ruined it, but I say I revived it, as it was near death before the build.

What do you think?

Did any of you buy my Two Bro exhaust off ebay? Ha! 😉

thumb01 final - Copy.jpg

since you asked........

it looks terrible, your design credentials are woefully lacking, and i don't see even one original idea, just copies of other guys' trendy mistakes.

( few here will criticize your efforts since they don't want to appear unfriendly, no concern for me.)

there is no visual balance of masses front/rear

i wouldn't even consider riding a bike that fugly.

7-8-17_011.JPG.ff3a52055825f11b23841f7c00e0d778.JPG

• Member Contributer
On 8/11/2022 at 10:01 AM, squirrelman said:

since you asked........

it looks terrible, your design credentials are woefully lacking, and i don't see even one original idea, just copies of other guys' trendy mistakes.

( few here will criticize your efforts since they don't want to appear unfriendly, no concern for me.)

What are you really trying to say Squirrelman???

• Member Contributer

At least he was honest.

For me, it isn't my cup of tea but it's your work and you wouldn't do something you didn't like. Anyone who puts their efforts into reviving an old and ill-maintained VFR should be applauded so well done m8. :beer:

Enjoy your new ride.

Throw some TKC80's on it and go dual sporting.😀 I bet the video production was about as much work as the build.

• Member Contributer

As a rider of a certain age, I was around when lots of cool Hondas (and other brands) were released, and personally I think they had iconic styling. I'm all in favour of a decent resto-mod of suspension and brakes (Captain 80s, take a bow) but the idea of hacking off fairings and subframes and fabricating minimalist bits to make up for that has no appeal to me. Maybe when the zombie apocalypse hits I will change my mind. 

On 8/10/2022 at 3:01 PM, squirrelman said:

since you asked........

Well, I asked, thanks for the honest reply, sure it's not your cup of tea. 

When the budget is supposed to be low, I won't have super-extra-cool things, but wait, more cool builds are coming. 

I love VFR's, my last one was an '02 that I put 70K on, very different than this one.

I saved it from the scrap yard, and I enjoyed building it, thanks for watching anyway

Thanks for the positive and negative comments either way guys, it helps for the next builds. I've always thought that the guys on here can be honest without using 4 letter words, and it proved still true, a good community.

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, dallasb said:

Thanks for the positive and negative comments either way guys, it helps for the next builds. I've always thought that the guys on here can be honest without using 4 letter words, and it proved still true, a good community.

It’s a bit like art or sculpture. Some like pieces, some don’t. It’s not my cup of tea, but given the $577 price tag, you’ve done well. You could give it a fancy name and sell it to a gallery, for millions.

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, VFR78 said:

It’s a bit like art or sculpture. Some like pieces, some don’t. It’s not my cup of tea, but given the $577 price tag, you’ve done well. You could give it a fancy name and sell it to a gallery, for millions.

Nah, for that kind of ridiculous payoff he needs to take a digital photo of it, destroy the bike and make an NFT out of it... :wink:

Ciao,

JZH

Customs are customs, build to suit what you want or can. It doesn’t have to and will never fit everyone’s taste but that’s the freedoms we all have, we have choices!!! 

Bottom line in my book, you have very little $$ invested, it’s a bike that very well would have been scrap / parts, you’ve given it a bit more life to live, ride it, enjoy it. 

• 1 month later...

Squirrelman was pretty blunt, but I somehow doubt that he watched your video.  Can’t say as I like the actual design much, but I appreciate the time and effort that was required.  I think it would have looked better without the shark pieces on the side.  For the actual cost of the build I think you did an excellent job.

I enjoyed your video.  I’d be interested in seeing a more conventional looking custom build should you do one.

• 7 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Coming here late.

I watched your video. Nicely filmed and presented with a lot of enthusiasm.  226,130 views and lots of positive comments.  A LOT of people liked what you did and I'm sure that you inspired a few to do something like this. Loved your DIY 'on the bike lathe' 😀

A Street Fighter For $577 ! Dude, you need to be congratulated for that and for saving a VFR from the wreckers. You obviously had Helluva lot of fun with the project and that's what matters!

Archived