Cowl Trunk

VFR4CMB

Did a few vfrdiscussion site searches but could only find info on Givi and one had a baby in the trunk. I am looking for the one on the attached picture for my 01'. Any idea who makes or made it? Not looking for a full system just somewhere to store my hat, ear plugs and small stuff.  

VFR2.jpeg

20 minutes ago, VifferJ said:

Looks like a Corbin smuggler trunk

Thanks. I saw the seat tag and went to Corbin Site but it wasn't there so figured it might be another MFG. I'll keep researching.

• Member Contributer

I bought one of those years ago and the paint was so mismatched and its fitting so poor I immediately returned it. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 8/2/2022 at 11:10 PM, Ghostrider said:

Yep, Corbin Smuggler. Hideously expensive and as rare as unicorn tears. I made my own out of an old spare seat (albeit for a Gen4 but the principle's the same)... 🙂

DSC00466 (Small).JPG

IMG_2311 (Small).jpg

IMG_2314 (Small).jpg

That looks really nice--well done!  

Can you tell us more about how you did it?  I had tossed around the same idea in my head for years, but never attempted it.  I'm especially interested in the hinges...

Many years ago I found a yellow Smuggler for my Y2k in California, but I ended up only using the seat, with the OEM cowl.  But I need a 6mm Allen key to open it!

Cheers,

JZH

• 1 month later...

It was really quite simple. The seat hump pivots on its locating tabs into the rear fairing and is still secured by the Frankenstein bolts. To allow entry, the slot that the seat hump locating tabs normally fit into, were elongated towards the tank. Another slot was cut into the rear of the fairing to allow a simple, generic lock to fix into.

IMG_2305 (Small).jpg

IMG_2306 (Small).jpg

IMG_2307 (Small).jpg

IMG_2308 (Small).jpg

IMG_2309 (Small).jpg

IMG_2310 (Small).jpg

• Member Contributer

That's awesome. I have a Sargent seat that is two piece and the area below the cowl is vacant. I'm just not sure I can bear to cut into pristine plastic...

• Member Contributer
On 9/19/2022 at 10:59 PM, Ghostrider said:

It was really quite simple. The seat hump pivots on its locating tabs into the rear fairing and is still secured by the Frankenstein bolts. To allow entry, the slot that the seat hump locating tabs normally fit into, were elongated towards the tank. Another slot was cut into the rear of the fairing to allow a simple, generic lock to fix into.

Awesome, thanks!  Very straightforward.  How far does the cowl open?

Ciao,

JZH

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/21/2022 at 12:36 AM, JZH said:

Awesome, thanks!  Very straightforward.  How far does the cowl open?

Ciao,

JZH

Wide enough to get stuff in, if that doesn't sound too flippant. I can easily get my DSLR in there, waterproofs, bottle of water/snacks. It really wouldn't be difficult to mod it to open wider...

DSC00466 (Small).JPG

Archived