Clutch slave and sprocket cover removal

Has anyone removed the clutch slave to access front sprocket cover removal without draining the clutch system (per the service manual)?  Want to put on new chain and sprockets and yet do it as simple as possible.  

Never mind. While I had to bleed off a little fluid to release the pressure on the pushrod, the slave assemble slid off without removing the banjo bolt and letting air into the line.  Easy peasy.  Greasy mess underneath the cover...yeck! 😬

• Member Contributer

This is actually a good question!  I am planning the same and was wondering if I have to remove the clutch slave from the cover before removing the cover. I am used to mechanical clutches so far. Any tips? Thanks.

8 hours ago, MotormikeVFR said:

.  Greasy mess underneath the cover...yeck! 😬

always the worst place on any bike.  😉

it's best to leave the slave on the cover, just  leave the short bolt attached to it.

check the service manual for torque specs on the cover, and FOLLOW the proper SEQUENCE.  over-tightening could be a disaster.

• Member Contributer

More importantly...when you refit the cover, you need to ensure that the speedo drive coupler mates nicely with the sprocket bolt head; very easy to damage the coupler if it is not clocked as needed. 

Also...the hydraulic clutch piston will quietly easy out of the cylinder when it is off the bike; a g-clamp can be used to keep it at home. 

• 3 months later...
On 8/1/2022 at 7:21 PM, Terry said:

More importantly...when you refit the cover, you need to ensure that the speedo drive coupler mates nicely with the sprocket bolt head; very easy to damage the coupler if it is not clocked as needed.

Man I swapped out my front sprocket a few days ago and I didn't know this was something to look out for. I must have glanced over the re-installation of the sprocket cover section a little too fast in my service manual. If the sprocket cover ended up sliding back into place 100%, the sprocket bolt head most likely mated properly with the speedo drive coupler, right? My speedo has been working fine since the sprocket swap despite being more out of skew due to my -1 fr. sprocket. I would rather avoid having to pull it off again to check...

Also didn't know there was a specific sequence and torque for every bolt in the front sprocket cover, I'll have to go outside and loosen everything/re-torque it in the proper sequence. I just snugged up each bolt nicely without over tightening in my own custom sequence 😅

• Member Contributer
On 11/10/2022 at 9:09 AM, bmart said:

You can thank the Germans for the "good-n-tite" method!

You are welcome! I am German and a so called engineer, LOL!

• Member Contributer

This is interesting appears some people have encountered issues with the clutch slave.

For what its worth. With my 3 previous 6gens I always remove the Speed Sensor but leave the clutch Slave attached to the cover as per Squirrelmans suggestion, then just move the cover aside, same with my 8gen (but no speed sensor to worry about). Never have had any issues at all with the clutch slave when reinstalling the cover! Its probably good practice as Terry states to inhibit the slave piston from extending as it is spring loaded to extend, but I just haven't needed to do this!

Also, with the Speed Sensor removed, then refitting last makes for easy and proper alignment of the teflon coupler to the drive sprocket bolt head, Very Important!

Archived