Naked VFR Project

Coxylaad

Hi All,

Been a while since I have posted anything about my ongoing project bike  - so long that my original thread has been locked and I cant get back into it anymore 😞  Ive messaged the admins but i never seem to get a reply. 

Anyways, its been a while, mainly because I have moved house. Even after I moved its taken me a long time to get my garage into a position where I could actually do any work in it!

some pics to kick off again: 

bzxbGql.jpg  

In its new home:

QQhVlJ0.jpg

Ive discovered a great way to make short work of polishing headers. Using my powerfile with an old sanding band in there is abrasive enough to remove the corrosion and tarnishing from the headers, without actually touching the metalwork:

AdCVewu.jpg

uh7MG1N.jpg

headers modified, link pip welded up and exhaust in place:

8RqKFFM.jpg

RCfPLV8.jpg

LoQdgQg.jpg

Ive made the bracket to mount the main header and collector box to the botom of the frame, but I never took any pics of that. I will do that later.  I have the exhaust hanger to fabricate,, but as soon as my exhaust gaskets arrive I will be moving onward to the next Job. I looking for a bit of inspiration and a motivation, so the short term objective is to the get the bike fired up and hear it running for the first time in a couple of years. 

ue8mPWX.jpg

3ALu6Nc.jpg

• Member Contributer

Well done, that’s an impressive street fighter  ..👌🏻

• 1 month later...

bit of an update:

I dont get a great deal of time to work on the bike these days but Ive managed to get a few things ticked off:

Needed a big earthing point for the loom, so I welded on a small section of 6mm steel onto the cross tube under the tank:

8XU3SRW.jpg

Drilled and tapped:

Ad8dpRM.jpg

All mounted up:

STXMG8l.jpg

So Ive been looking for a bit inspiration and motivation to get moving with the bike, what more motivation than hearing it fire up for the first time!

went through all the wiring connecting everything up and making sure it is how it should be. Its a bit of a wiring disaster at the moment and required a lot of sorting out, however the good news is that I got it running on the first time of asking! (well almost - I forgot to connect the fuel hose up and fired petrol across the garage floor when i turned the ignition on) 

Anyways video evidence:

Interesting  to hear the throttle bodies cycling through with no airbox or filter on.  I was wondering if it was something to do with the fact they have been unplugged for over a year and they might need balancing or something, or thats the noise they make and you normally cant hear it becuase they are burried under all the plastic and ducting. 

Happy days. time to start tidying all the wiring up! 

• Member Contributer
On 9/2/2022 at 4:03 AM, Coxylaad said:

Interesting  to hear the throttle bodies cycling through with no airbox or filter on.  I was wondering if it was something to do with the fact they have been unplugged for over a year and they might need balancing or something, or thats the noise they make and you normally cant hear it becuase they are burried under all the plastic and ducting. 

Good for you getting it to fire first time.

That noise is familiar on my 2010, though my bike may not be as loud.  As you noted, they are typically buried under plastics/tank/etc... on the standard bike.  At this point I'd say "works as intended".  

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

Got a bit of time whilst everyone was watching the queen so jumped in the garage and picked a job to do - Exhaust hanger:

Started with some stainless tube

EIY9UoR.jpg

and a stainless nut

JpNQQjr.jpg

bashed it in with a hammer

ZJheWso.jpg

Chopped the tube down, then done the same again to make the end fixing pieces of the bracket. here they are bolted in place

rpROll9.jpg

x69nUf1.jpg

Then took a smaller diameter stainless tube, cut to length and shaped to fit the odd interface angles, then welded up:

qDk2eeP.jpg

I also welded in the nuts around the seam so no chance of them working loose (not that they could based on the force needed to press them in) 

Finished, apart from a bit tidying of the weld up. 

All stainless so doesnt require painting. Massively overengineered, just the way I like it

ASrLxAe.jpg

c1QX6f0.jpg

Q0ojmZQ.jpg

giNKBIH.jpg

Another job ticked off. I think the next job will be to tidy up the wiring and sort out a battery box for under the seat. 

• Member Contributer

Whoa welcome back.....quite awesome stuff going on keep at it! We wanna see you finish and ride it.......motivation enough? :fing02:

I love bike build threads :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Update:

Sorting out the details from the back to the front. 

rear indicators:

I bought some BMW LED indicators, that look nice but the fittings are flimsy plastic and i wasnt happy with them, so I decided to upgrade them.

flimsy

pOUdN5H.jpg

vyfepFb.jpg

removed the fitting, drilled it out, and tapped an 8mm thread into it

EzS0kIb.jpg

Dzy9qSH.jpg

Took an 8mm stainless bolt and drilled the centre out of it on the lathe, then chopped the head off it

hEanbpC.jpg

then threaded it into the plastic part, nice and snug 

X5Sky3b.jpg

back together, new and improved

FDTkQKg.jpg

RnKuya1.jpg

Next job, seat release mechanism. I kept the vfr seat lock, and acquired the Speed triple seat release mechanism, Need to mount the VFR lock and mate it up to the S3 mech.

VFR lock:

P2m1WNY.jpg

S3 seat release mech

37SNazA.jpg

bracket to mount the lock in the hole and stop it turning:

RPxqfQU.jpg

SWiIvgg.jpg

BvwO2Zr.jpg

Uu5frka.jpg

Its industrial, but it wont break 😀

new arm to take the end of the pull cable - I used a 10mm bolt, drilled a 8mm hole in it, then slotted it to take the nipple

AGG1s13.jpg

jBxHif0.jpg

Removed the arm from the VFR lock, flattened it, and trimmed it down, then welded the 'nipple holder' on  (he said nipple 😄

2tcffCl.jpg

hhnu34c.jpg

Needed some dressing at this point, but thats the last photo I had of it

Modified the lock mounting bracket so it holds the pull cable outer in place

vqWh8Bn.jpg

2u2OG7X.jpg

et voila, sorted, and another job ticked off. 

c4cV5Ls.jpg

zG7DmvV.jpg

The last picture you may have noticed that the bike is missing a rear shock, Thats becuase it was away getting the correctly rated spring fitting to it. 

Its back, now with a 180nm spring on it. 

H1xWCkJ.jpg

fitted back to the bike

ZP83Ds9.jpg

Im adopting a suck it an see approach with the damping.  The spring rate has nearly doubled on the shock, so I need to see if the adjustment on the damping can cope.  If it cant then the shock will come off and new cartridges will be fitted. Not the end of the world as TTX shock damper cartreidges are easy to swap around. 

• 5 months later...

Archived