Clocks reset on start up

trmoyer

Occasionally on start up my lcd screen time & trips reset. It’s not every time though, maybe after the bike has set a week. 

I haven’t had time to dig into connections and grounding. On one of the Facebook forums someone else was having this issue but I didn’t see a result from a repair. A couple people jumped to the R/R as a culprit but there was no explanation of why so I'm skeptical. I replaced mine a couple years ago. 

Before I dig in and chase my tail, is there a recommended direction for tracking down a possible cause? 

• Member Contributer

Have you done a battery voltage test? 

Ignition OFF, engine at idle, engine at 5k rpm I believe is the usual method. 

Sounds like it's battery related possibly caused by R/R. 

I have not checked charging voltage yet or the battery yet. The battery is the simplest thing to start with. It is also a couple years old as I’d replaced it when I did the R/R. It’s plugged into a Tender during the off season. 

• Member Contributer

A clock resetting when you start the bike is a classic symptom of a dying battery. 

3 hours ago, Terry said:

A clock resetting when you start the bike is a classic symptom of a dying battery. 

Sigh….. I was hoping to get a bit more time out of it but I know all to well batteries are a gamble. They just aren’t made like they used to. 

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I still haven’t dug into the original question but I do know keeping the battery tender on it all week between rides keeps the problem from happening lol. I should just set down, spend the little amount of time really takes and trouble shoot this correctly. If it is the battery, I’ll probably nurse it along until the end of the season and put it on the “to do” list for next spring. 

• 6 months later...

@trmoyer I'm not sure if you're still monitoring this thread, but I had similar issues with clock resets on starting.  This seems to have been fixed after I pulled and cleaned the blue connector and receiving socket on the back of the instrument cluster with an electrical contact cleaner.  That connector carries the power supply for the LCD display. I believe this issue to be related to a poor connection, probably from oxidation build up.

1 hour ago, vfrgiving said:

@trmoyer I'm not sure if you're still monitoring this thread, but I had similar issues with clock resets on starting.  This seems to have been fixed after I pulled and cleaned the blue connector and receiving socket on the back of the instrument cluster with an electrical contact cleaner.  That connector carries the power supply for the LCD display. I believe this issue to be related to a poor connection, probably from oxidation build up.

On that connector subject, did you do just a spray clean, let dry and plug back in ?

I've read a couple conflicting suggestions whether to add like dielectric grease or ox-gard or similar.

3 hours ago, VeeEffArah said:

On that connector subject, did you do just a spray clean, let dry and plug back in ?

I've read a couple conflicting suggestions whether to add like dielectric grease or ox-gard or similar.

I just hosed the connector and socket down with Deoxit let dry and put back together.  So far that has fixed two connector related issues I was having on different VFR dashes, clock resets and a non-functioning turn signal indicator..  If a connector related connection issue pops up again in the future, I like the idea of putting little dabs of Ox-gard on just the connector pins before plugging back in, after the cleaning with a spray contact cleaner like Deoxit.  I did tweak the connector pins upwards a tiny amount with an o-ring pick, but I'm not sure that did much of anything.  I would just try the cleaning and ox-gard approach.

The copper traces in the socket are very delicate as they are part of the flex membrane circuit that covers the back of the dash.  I wouldn't be poking or scrubbing around in there.  Just the spray clean.

Archived