5th Gen Starter Motor Compatibility

Dangeruss

• Member Contributer

I'm curious if anyone has fitted a later starter motor to a '98 5th gen. Honda lists a separate part number for the '98 than '99-'09, but they look identical and all internal parts have the same number. The '98 is NLA from Honda, although at the price for a new one of any year it would be out of the question anyway. I can't think of any reason why a mid 2000's starter wouldn't work if it mechanically fits (including tooth count/pitch) but prefer to ask before spending the money. Thanks!

• Member Contributer

I won't claim the latter starter motor will work, but Honda parts over and over and over use the same parts multiple years,  and list the part N/A for the older bike, while continuing to use the very same part on the later years.....Very annoying Mother Honda!!

• Member Contributer

Yeah, it could be down to something as simple as they changed the plating spec for the steel body to address an issue on the first year that changed the part number, but usually they supercede part numbers if the new part is backwards compatible, unless there is an aesthetic difference that would be noticeable. That wouldn't likely be the case with a starter motor. Curiously the '99-'09 part number is also shown as the part for the '94 RC45. 

edit- I didn't think to check aftermarket, they list the same part number for '98-'09 so it should work.

Archived