dead battery after 7 years

Lorne

• Member Contributer

You may recall that I bought my 2009 VFR as n.o.s. in summer 2011. The stator partially failed during my 2015 Colorado trip, which drained the battery under 11 vdc - never a good thing for a m/c battery. A small bike shop in Delta, Colo., supplied an off-brand battery that I used for the rest of the trip, but took my recharged oe Yuasa home with me.

Then on the last day of our 2017 California trip I somehow left the key in & ignition on overnight at the motel. Managed to jump start it with a grudgingly cooperative fellow leaving the motel. Back home I put the oe Yuasa on my proper charger before returning it to the bike. 

Over the years I'd use the oe Yuasa for trips and the no-name for around town. Before this years trip I reinstalled the Yuasa, having sat on the tender for several weeks and it barely started the VFR. So I swapped in the other one for my trip.

Anyhow, yesterday whilst running errands the VFR stalled but wouldn't restart. All signs of a flat battery, and a friend's meter confirmed so: 12.5 vdc but dropped under 6 volts when I hit the starter.

With a new no-name battery installed there's ~14.2 vdc so at least the stator is working - for now...

• Member Contributer

When you're bringing back a deadish battery, hook it up in parallel to a big good battery (car) when charing it. You may be surprised by the results. 

Archived