Dyno Tuning in So Cal

VFR4CMB

Not sure this is the correct forum but i have a 01' that i just bought with a Power Commander 3.

I have the PC paperwork, CD etc but no notes that i can see. On the PC website there is Software and Firmware which is basically in another language to me. My bike has no motor mods but does have a GPR Slip On.  I would like to make sure that the PC is up to date on the Software/Firmware and the "Tune" is correct and everything is good. My only future mods are maybe a header and air filter but that is it.

So, the question i have is there a Dyno Shop in So Cal (i live in Ramona, CA) that can hook my bike up and check out the PC?  

• Member Contributer

I'm sure there are plenty in SoCal.  But I guess you are asking for a personal recommendation. 
if you get your starter valves balanced first then a custom map done. Best fit a clean air filter or the after market one of your choice before paying for a tune.

3 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

I'm sure there are plenty in SoCal.  But I guess you are asking for a personal recommendation. 
if you get your starter valves balanced first then a custom map done. Best fit a clean air filter or the after market one of your choice before paying for a tune.

There are a few PC Dealers on the website in So Cal. Looking to see if anyone has used a dealer that they trust.

I don't know what a starter valve is so being a VFR Noob i will research what that is. Yes, clean Air Filter before a tune. My bikes spare parts came with a new in box BMC Air Filter. PO said he was going to change it when the next service came up. Not sure if the BMC is garbage, better than stock, better than a K&N or ?? Will see if i can find some reviews online. 

• Member Contributer

BMC is fine. I've used them before. 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, VFR4CMB said:

Not sure this is the correct forum but i have a 01' that i just bought with a Power Commander 3.

I have the PC paperwork, CD etc but no notes that i can see. On the PC website there is Software and Firmware which is basically in another language to me. My bike has no motor mods but does have a GPR Slip On.  I would like to make sure that the PC is up to date on the Software/Firmware and the "Tune" is correct and everything is good. My only future mods are maybe a header and air filter but that is it.

So, the question i have is there a Dyno Shop in So Cal (i live in Ramona, CA) that can hook my bike up and check out the PC?  

Here's some info: maybe too much but filter and see what makes sense. Ask if you have questions

Starter Valve Syncronization - 5th Gen

Starter Valve synch revisited

5th gen starter valves sync INCORRECT for last 22 years

When the infamous/legendary VFRD Headers were dyno'd it was done at Attack Performance in HB.  I know it's a trek from Ramona to HB and back. 

No first hand experience with BMC, others speak well of the brand.

Thanks for making me check my PC3, I was running an older firmware (1.0.0.20) and now have the shiny new 2.3.2! (like it matters?)

The update (see below) was straigghtforward.  I have the 9v adaptor though you may want to call Power Commander and ask if just turning the ignition on to power the PC3 is fine.

Good luck

UPDATING THE POWER COMMANDER FIRMWARE—FUEL 1.0.0.20/HARLEY 2.1.1 OR LATER
1 Open the Control Center software.
2 Connect the USB cable from your computer to the Power Commander.
3 Connect the 9V adapter to the expansion port of the Power Commander.
4 Connect a fresh 9V battery to the adapter.
5 Click Power Commander Tools !Update Firmware. The Open dialog box will appear.
6 Click the drop down arrow and select your CD-ROM drive.
7 Double-click the fscommand folder.
8 Double-click the PCIII folder.
Note: For Harley Davidson, double-click the HarleyPC folder.
9 Double-click the fscommand folder.
10 Click the firmware.dfu file.
11 Click Open. Wait for the progress bar to finish. When the progress bar reads Programmed
Successfully, your firmware is updated. If you get "Error Programming Module", disconnect the 9V
adapter and reconnect to the Power Commander. This will retry loading the firmware.
12 Click OK.

Archived