SW Motech Pro ring mount tank bags

ShipFixer

• Member Contributer

Installed a new tank and missed my tank bag, but for sure didn't want magnets touching the paint.  SW Motech seems to be the only game in town.  Doesn't touch the paint, and their red on black scheme happens to match the VFR pretty well.

I really like it.  This is the "micro" bag, will probably get the Sport bag at some point.

25AFD514-501D-461E-B8D8-1DF6C561EABB.thumb.jpeg.3f9960a787456914e1cd5a06b4ff2391.jpeg

F5489486-0A7C-4012-9E91-72FFB209F437.thumb.jpeg.f2218842165aab336bc0e49f6bc822d1.jpeg

856847D6-B2CF-4296-AC4E-44036F0761B9.jpeg

• Member Contributer

SW Motech makes great stuff.  I got about 6 years out of my tank bag with that mounting system.  Looks good!

• Member Contributer

A clear layer of "car wrap" would alleviate the worry, no? 

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, bmart said:

A clear layer of "car wrap" would alleviate the worry, no? 

I started to go down that road when I first took the tank out of the box.  Was going to be too hard to get coverage everywhere, make it look good, etc.  Now that I've got it on I like it more than I thought I would. 

• Member Contributer

I bought the Givi TankLock for my 1995.  Very similar system.  I got a small one pretty much as a glove box.  Haven't mounted it yet, but it appears to sit higher than the SW, not even close to touching the tank.

givi_xs319_tanklock_tankbag_750x750.jpg.6c28345ba86f2fce1b72dc63851e9538.jpg

I do like the shape of the SW better. 

My purchase started as an experiment to mount a lock ring to an extra shelter on my ST1100 for a tank bag, and the Givi system is cheaper.  Still working on that, so I thought I might as well get a bag and use it on my very nice VFR that I don't want anything on the tank.

• Member Contributer

I actually didn't realize Givi makes a similar thing.  But, yeah...prefer the look of SW Motech's.  I can verify mine doesn't touch at all, it looks like it's fitted to the curves but there is a gap all the way around and under the bag.  It's rigid enough it's not going to bend and rub it randomly either.

• Member Contributer

I have both SW-Motech and Givi tank bags on my VFRs.

I first bought the Givi for my 1200, a quality Italian make with a good range of tank bags and I particularly like the the release mechanism, far better than the SW-Motech cord imo. I used to have a Baglux cover over the tank on both my 5th & 6th Gens but decided that I didn't like hiding the paint. No way was I using magnetic so I had to look at attaching to the fuel filler ring. At first I thought they may sag and rub on the tank, but so far, after 8+ years of continual use, they haven't done that at all.

When I bought my first VFR800X, I wanted a Givi for that too but they don't do one. The standard fit tank cap ring causes the bag to impact on the bars at full lock. So I looked around and found that SW-Motech do a tank ring for the Crossrunner. It mounts to the tank over the fuel filler cap but the bag mount is shunted back down the tank towards the rider so it doesn't impact the bars. You can see it in the photo. I've been really happy with the setup, SW-Motech are very good quality too, but if Givi did the same type of ring to fit the Crossie, I'd buy Givi.

IMAG0801 v1.jpg

• Member Contributer

I've got SW-Motech's older series of quick-lock tank rings and sockets on all my bikes.  I'm not sure about their newer "evo" series, but they also made an electrified version for the older style, which allows the easy use of phone chargers in the tank bag, etc.  However, the flat black cable is still not especially nice to see on the tank, but there's no way to electrify a tankbag without some sort of cable!

20181023_123920x.thumb.jpg.54ad812d1c0d7bf97c317ef89417bc00.jpg

(Ignore the Euro-spec darker OEM windscreen being compared here...)

P1030402x.thumb.jpg.24c08c1d07b109cf057be8572a5509ed.jpg

(...and ignore the coil of cables--they're for other electrical mods.)

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

You would hate my bikes. On all of them, I have...wires!

• Member Contributer

@JZH I just use a small battery pack if I need to charge phone. 

• Member Contributer
6 minutes ago, Skids said:

@JZH I just use a small battery pack if I need to charge phone. 

Typically what I do too.  I do have a switched USB port mounted up around the top triple somewhere on my bikes if I absolutely must run a cord to my bag.

You can see this one above the HIGH BEAM indicator.  

20190827_064914.thumb.jpg.ed320990b7455ae6e71ec4c09bf248ab.jpg

• Member Contributer

I don't mind wires, believe me!  I never actually used the electrified version of SW-Motech tank ring--it could only do 5A through the tiny pogo pins.  The latest (last?) version of my onboard electronics package had to power heated clothing, an accessory socket, a Touratech IMO control box and a bunch of other stuff.  (The IP68 4-pin connector on the left is rated for 30A.)  That thing was a nightmare to build.  And then I realised I'd made it with the hinge on the wrong side... :dry:

684757068_2016-09-1601_04_15x.thumb.jpg.c236ddc30edde36c3e3b2f49f7141e9a.jpg

712502820_2017-01-1420_22_32x.thumb.jpg.0f2c6d74564346fcfe6f878c5a1bf638.jpg

Ciao,

JZH

Archived