Side markers and hazard lights 6th gen

Gotama

So today I noticed that I no longer had my turn signals while I was commuting to work along with no horn or hazard lights .

while at work I started troubleshooting it 

took the switches apart and sprayed them with contact cleaner , checked all the connection firing for corrosion and there was none .

tracked it down to a blown fuse under the right dash faring . 
it’s a 10 amp fuse so I pulled the spare and replaced it .

it instantly blew ……

had to replace it with the spare 20 amp fuse and now I have the park lights back and turn signals along with the horn . 
but my hazard flasher doesn’t work .

any ideas would be helpful 

• Member Contributer

The possible reason for the original fuse blowing is the brake light wires on the front brake lever. If the lever is rotated down too far, the connectors can contact the handlebar and cause a short, this happened to my 5th gen a few weeks back. I'm not sure why that would leave the hazard lights out however. Paging @Grum

• Member Contributer

Try unplugging the "Turn Signal Position Relay", it has 6 wires going to it. This is the only device that is powered from the fuse (via the Hazard Switch) when nothing else is selected. Refit a 10amp fuse and see if it still blows. If not, then you most likley have a faulty "Turn Signal Position Relay".

If you are saying the 10amp fuse blows instantly when Hazards Selected then the problem may be the 2 wire "Turn Signal Relay" (actually its the Hazard function Relay!). Try disconnecting this device and see if the fuse continues to blow.

Not a good idea to be fitting a 20amp fuse where a 10amp should be, you could end up damaging your wiring.

Do you have the proper wiring diagram for your bike? Does your bike have both Turn Signal Position Relay and the Turn Signal Relay along with Right and Left Hazard Diodes? As per attached drawing.

FullSizeRender.jpg

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Terry said:

The possible reason for the original fuse blowing is the brake light wires on the front brake lever. If the lever is rotated down too far, the connectors can contact the handlebar and cause a short, this happened to my 5th gen a few weeks back. I'm not sure why that would leave the hazard lights out however. Paging @Grum

Hi Terry. Think he's blowing Fuse B 10amp (Horn and Turn Signal).

Brakes would be Fuse E 10amp.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Grum said:

Hi Terry. Think he's blowing Fuse B 10amp (Horn and Turn Signal).

Brakes would be Fuse E 10amp.

^^ this is why you were called, Graeme. 

Archived