information about this Tattoo please

Skipper

• Member Contributer

I own a restoration project 1988 Australian delivered from factory VFR 750F c/w RC24U engine. There is a number tattooed on the lower crankcase on the left had side near to the oil filter. It reads: KN2650. It appears to be electronically applied with a series of dots that have penetrated the original engine paint, and has not been applied in the more traditional letter/ number punch method, nor is it done with a center punch.
Does anyone know what it is all about, my only thoughts were that it may have been a previous owners attempt at personal identification as I can find no suggestions in any official markings done by Honda?

IMG_3012.JPG

• Member Contributer

Here is a tattoo on my second VFR 750, also of similar vintage -I had not noticed previously
It would seem there is a purpose to these numbers though I have no idea what it is?

Perhaps something applied by the Australian importer?

IMG_3020.JPG

• Member Contributer

Strange.  Really surprised 2 bikes have it.  Same format, it is not random now.

• Member Contributer
On 7/16/2022 at 3:52 PM, Skipper said:

I own a restoration project 1988 Australian delivered from factory VFR 750F c/w RC24U engine. There is a number tattooed on the lower crankcase on the left had side near to the oil filter. It reads: KN2650. It appears to be electronically applied with a series of dots that have penetrated the original engine paint, and has not been applied in the more traditional letter/ number punch method, nor is it done with a center punch.
Does anyone know what it is all about, my only thoughts were that it may have been a previous owners attempt at personal identification as I can find no suggestions in any official markings done by Honda?

the marking on my '99, rear cylinder

you'll find a similar marking (different number) on your front cylinder

your camshaft holder will have corresponding number

that way you don't mix them

at least that's what I used them for when I checked valve clearance

image.png.64cda95ee21e015cf0bfeda626a0c467.png

• Member Contributer
14 minutes ago, Tirso said:

the marking on my '99, rear cylinder

you'll find a similar marking (different number) on your front cylinder

your camshaft holder will have corresponding number

that way you don't mix them

at least that's what I used them for when I checked valve clearance

image.png.64cda95ee21e015cf0bfeda626a0c467.png

The DOT matrix style of his markings is what make them very un-Honda to me.  Yours look traditionally stamped (like Honda does), unless I couldn't zoom close enough to tell.

I've had 4 of my RC24/26 engines out for cleaning and painting and I have never come across markings like his.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Captain 80s said:

The DOT matrix style of his markings is what make them very un-Honda to me.  Yours look traditionally stamped (like Honda does), unless I couldn't zoom close enough to tell.

I've had 4 of my RC24/26 engines out for cleaning and painting and I have never come across markings like his.

They're DOT matrix style.

I'm sure it means something: manufacturer, date, assembly line, ??. But they match the cam holders.

Found this 6th Gen on eBay. 

My 5Th Gen is similar

Camshaft_03.jpg

Camshaft_04.jpg

• Member Contributer
10 minutes ago, Tirso said:

They're DOT matrix style.

I'm sure it means something: manufacturer, date, assembly line, ??. But they match the cam holders.

Found this 6th Gen on eBay. 

My 5Th Gen is similar

Camshaft_03.jpg

Camshaft_04.jpg

Ok, thanks for the clarification.  Gonna look closer at my engines that are out of frames.  Just never noticed them before.

• Member Contributer
55 minutes ago, Tirso said:

But they match the cam holders.

Camshaft_03.jpg

Camshaft_04.jpg

Makes sense to keep them parts together after line boring.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the feedback, but no, the dot matrix style is not applied by the same gadget I don't feel, somewhat less clean in application, and larger sized
I also own a '86 Japanese domestic market VFR 750 that subsequently ended up in Australia - and it does not have this numbering on the crankcase

Seems it is to remain one of life's mysteries, I don't even know if they appear on bikes sold to other parts of the world?

Archived