to Monterey after 3 years

• Member Contributer

It's been a loong three years since my last bike trip way back in 2019. After a false start last year my pal Tony and I began planning our return to Laguna Seca for the MotoAmerica super bike races. America's July 4th holiday complicated route planning with motel rooms sometimes hard to come by, and pricier to boot. With reservations made and a route selected we headed off.

One goal this year was to ride thru Lassen Volcanic NP. We've been skunked with bad weather every other time, and again this year. Otoh, it gave us the excuse/necessity of visiting Susanville for breakfast. And the opportunity to revisit an old friend, this mural on 611 Main St. This photo shows it on both my 1995 and 2022 visits.

That's my pal, Tony, in this year's pic. More posts of my trip - and what happened to Tony in upcoming posts.

image.thumb.jpeg.9d3bd870c8b28309f6cfa56387f81895.jpeg

• Member Contributer

This spring someone asked if higher gasoline prices would change your trip plans. That seemed odd to me because there are three main costs to a trip: fuel, meals/food, and accommodation. In the past the breakdown on my trips was 25% for fuel, 25% for meals, and 50% for motels. That is almost exactly what my costs this year came to.

But who wants to read about finances? Here's a pretty photo from Pacific Grove, California. You are looking east towards Cannery Row and in the distance is Seaside, Ca., with Laguna Seca nestled in the hills beyond.

Lover's Pt park, Pacific Grove, Cal.jpg

• Member Contributer
On 7/16/2022 at 11:39 PM, Lorne said:

This spring someone asked if higher gasoline prices would change your trip plans.

I got the same question since I ride quite a lot, around 25,000km a year. I said "NO".

Then they said "what if petrol prices rise to say €4 a litre"

Did the math.

Currently a litre is around €2,50 (I pump ethanol free), my Gilera does 35 km to the litre, my VF around 17, the MV and Cagiva I donot know yet.

But I figured that -the communting to work I get reimbursed,-  that this would mean an extra montly outlay of €100.

This will in no way stop me from picking up the keys.

YM(oney)MV... :laugh:

PS:

The locks at this fuel depot didnot look very solid.

If push comes to shove, I could go for some nightime "proletarian shopping" no?

16580000793141880592674587312130.thumb.jpg.cf8516efc3a633355846f56c6ad15f74.jpg

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Currently a litre is around €2,50

You are a very sensible man 😉

Fwiw, my trip totalled 4740 km, used 259 litres/68.5 galUS/57 gal-Imp, cost ~US$446 or the same in Euro, and I averaged 18km/litre, 43mpg US, 51mpg Imp

Archived