Barely Able to Engage Clutch?

It seems as though my '10 1200f is having increasing difficulty engaging the clutch, specially with the clutch lever itself. I have an adjustable clutch lever, which I believe is stock, and on setting "1" the friction zone is within a half inch of the grip, I have to squeeze the lever against the grip to feel like I'm pulling the clutch in enough to shift. On setting "5" for instance, once I pop it into first, the bike starts moving with the clutch all the way engaged. Again, it seems like this is getting worse.

I removed the lever and check fluid level, things seem normal, no leaks. What should I look for here?

Cheers 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Twistedkeys said:

It seems as though my '10 1200f is having increasing difficulty engaging the clutch, specially with the clutch lever itself. I have an adjustable clutch lever, which I believe is stock, and on setting "1" the friction zone is within a half inch of the grip, I have to squeeze the lever against the grip to feel like I'm pulling the clutch in enough to shift. On setting "5" for instance, once I pop it into first, the bike starts moving with the clutch all the way engaged. Again, it seems like this is getting worse.

I removed the lever and check fluid level, things seem normal, no leaks. What should I look for here?

Cheers 

What is your mileage/km's?  Bleed it lately?  Might have an air bubble in the line...

Plates under tolerance?

Could be a couple things.  I start with cheapest first.  May bleed system with a vacuum bleeder to ensure all air out. 

25 minutes ago, Yokel said:

What is your mileage/km's?  Bleed it lately?  Might have an air bubble in the line...

Plates under tolerance?

Could be a couple things.  I start with cheapest first.  May bleed system with a vacuum bleeder to ensure all air out. 

Thanks mate, going on 39,000, just got the bike, worked find within a hundred miles ago, but I'll start with bleeding. 

Any idea how to check plate tolerance? I know my way around a bike, but have not had the opportunity to open up the transmission/clutch yet.

could be master cylinder leaking pressure past failing seals. to test, pull slave off the bike and clamp the piston back with a C-clamp, then squeeze clutch handle to see if it holds pressure or sinks down.

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, Twistedkeys said:

Thanks mate, going on 39,000, just got the bike, worked find within a hundred miles ago, but I'll start with bleeding. 

Any idea how to check plate tolerance? I know my way around a bike, but have not had the opportunity to open up the transmission/clutch yet.

Should require a micrometer and disassembly of clutch basket.  

I can check the shop manual for you and provide tolerance if the system bleed is not helpful.

The fact that it migrated OUT of feel makes me think you're fluid related. Either as someone else stated there is a bad seal, air in line, or you're getting weep somewhere from crush washers. 

Could be as simple as particulate jamming a valve somewhere. 

10 hours ago, Yokel said:

Should require a micrometer and disassembly of clutch basket.  

I can check the shop manual for you and provide tolerance if the system bleed is not helpful.

The fact that it migrated OUT of feel makes me think you're fluid related. Either as someone else stated there is a bad seal, air in line, or you're getting weep somewhere from crush washers. 

Could be as simple as particulate jamming a valve somewhere. 

10-4 I'll give it a shot and report back as soon as I can.

Archived