normal operating temps

• Member Contributer

i am just curious what are normal operating temps what is a normal riding temp ,and what would be a hot temp ,and what wold a temp be at a long stop light  in the summer , only curious my bike was operating at 186  while riding and when i would come to a stop it would go up to 210 and that felt hot.  i dont ride this bike much mostly sits in the garage .I know every bike is different buy maybe i can get a few different answers and hope i will be in that range

• Member Contributer

In spring and autumn mine runs at a steady 79C, open road and motorway. In summer that rises to 82C. Always the same.

In town it does of course go up to 104, fan kicks in and goes off at 96.

In spring on an open road it goes fairly quickly back down to 79.

Summer temps in town it goes up to 104 regularly and goes down to 82 when I'm out again, takes a bit longer though. It is hot in town in summer temps - here can be 35C - and the heat soaks into the frame which radiates out onto your leg and does get uncomfortable on a hot day.

I've never had the fan fail to bring the temps down or it get too hot where the display blinks. I think that happens at 115C on a 5th Gen. If you get that hot you need to turn it off!

• Member Contributer

Your temps sound normal to me. Mine appear to be 172F-220F. 

• Member Contributer

The "moving at a decent speed for airflow" temperature is controlled by the thermostat, and that should be operating right around 80C/176F +/- 2C.

With "no/limited airflow" the temperature will rise until the fan switches on around 100C/212F; might be a couple of degrees higher, but should drop to 98C/208F reasonably quickly.

122C/252F is the maximum temperature; the manual suggests turning off the bike and checking the cooling system if it happens. 

• Member Contributer

A lot can depend on ambient temperatures too. Especially when sitting at a stoplight. When it's around 90°, my '99 shows around 180° at highway

speeds, when the temperature is down around 80°, running speed temperature drops to around 175°. Stop and go raises the temperature pretty

quickly, and then tops out around 212°, but will go higher if moving slowly due to the orientation of the radiator fan/s. Stopped at a light, the temperature

will drop when the fan kicks on at 212°.

• Member Contributer

If you see *continuous* temps higher than 220ºF is a problem and the proper order of items to trouble shoot are:

1)Faulty radiator cap... system should hold 1.1 pressure ratio...
2)Insufficient coolant...
3)Passages blocked in the radiator, hose or water jacket...
4)Air in the system...
5)Thermostat stuck closed...
6)Faulty temp meter or thermo sensor...
7)Faulty fan...
8)Faulty fan switch...

• Member Contributer
8 minutes ago, BusyLittleShop said:

If you see *continuous* temps higher than 220ºF is a problem and the proper order of items to trouble shoot are:

1)Faulty radiator cap... system should hold 1.1 pressure ratio...
2)Insufficient coolant...
3)Passages blocked in the radiator, hose or water jacket...
4)Air in the system...
5)Thermostat stuck closed...
6)Faulty temp meter or thermo sensor...
7)Faulty fan...
8)Faulty fan switch...

Just making sure the fan is working is the last thing?   ooooooo k

• Member Contributer
On 6/30/2022 at 7:38 AM, Captain 80s said:

Just making sure the fan is working is the last thing?   ooooooo k

I agree with BLS; the fan isn't going to do anything useful when the bike is moving but if I was only concerned about overheating at a standstill, the fan would be my first check. 

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, Terry said:

I agree with BLS; the fan isn't going to do anything useful when the bike is moving but if I was only concerned about overheating at a standstill, the fan would be my first check. 

In his first post he expressed his concern about temps when "he would come to a stop".  He didn't provide any more info about other situations.

• Member Contributer
On 6/28/2022 at 11:59 AM, lawnmowerman said:

i am just curious what are normal operating temps what is a normal riding temp ,and what would be a hot temp ,and what wold a temp be at a long stop light  in the summer , only curious my bike was operating at 186  while riding and when i would come to a stop it would go up to 210 and that felt hot.  i dont ride this bike much mostly sits in the garage .I know every bike is different buy maybe i can get a few different answers and hope i will be in that range

Normal for a VFR in a hot summer tbh.

• Member Contributer

Isn't this about the time when somebody drops a link to an obscure article about fans used intermittently in an industrial liquid cooled application creating local cooled pockets, disrupting the natural fluid dynamics of the system, possibly causing damage and doing more harm than good in the long term?

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

Isn't this about the time when somebody drops a link to an obscure article about fans used intermittently in an industrial liquid cooled application creating local cooled pockets, disrupting the natural fluid dynamics of the system, possibly causing damage and doing more harm than good in the long term?

I think you just did. Still raining in the PNW?

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

Lawyers have a term I like - "magic words."  People string a bunch of things together hoping they mean something legal-ish and compelling. 

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

In his first post he expressed his concern about temps when "he would come to a stop".  He didn't provide any more info about other situations.

Oh, so now we are expected to read the posts before answering? That is going to take all the fun out of this!

• 1 month later...

I put a switch in the operate my cooling fan ( I do believe the temp sensor has failed and I did not have time to order and replace it )....I manually put it on around d 185 deg....keeps it below 190 

Archived