What does this sound like? Rod knock?

• Member Contributer

Looks like the front tensioner chewed out not the guide.

Is there any possible chance that the tensioners (items 4 snd 5) are in the opposite positions. It looks like its possible to get them mixed up? Or two of the same type? They are slightly different with different part numbers.

Cam chain.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: Installed new Honda CCTS on both cylinders. Almost forgot to swap the metal cap onto the new CCT plunger. Now the tapping sound starts at a higher RPM. Before it started around 2k revs now its close to 3.5k rpm before you hear it. I am getting frustrated. I should just trash the bike, got other bikes for daily commute.

Just an update so far. After so many hair pulling attempts to fix the tapping sound. With the help of a mechanical stethoscope, I was able to trace the noise. It was coming from #4 piston! Removed the top cylinder and ah ha! The piston has a lot of up/down play. At TDC and BDC, if you tap the piston head, it falls lower with a thud sound. Piston pin worn so bad. Explains why the noise was coming from the top right side of the engine. All bearings look ok, but I'd be replacing them all. 

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, klipsedeville said:

Just an update so far. After so many hair pulling attempts to fix the tapping sound. With the help of a mechanical stethoscope, I was able to trace the noise. It was coming from #4 piston! Removed the top cylinder and ah ha! The piston has a lot of up/down play. At TDC and BDC, if you tap the piston head, it falls lower with a thud sound. Piston pin worn so bad. Explains why the noise was coming from the top right side of the engine. All bearings look ok, but I'd be replacing them all. 

Whoa!  

• Member Contributer

Amazing what would have caused this and only to #4? Faulty metallurgy who knows?

Can you post up some pictures, good luck with the rebuild.

Have you also worked out why the front chain tensioner was being chewed out by the rear chain?

Archived