Lifting to centerstand

Kbear

• Member Contributer

Maybe you practice on bikes at your local dealer. 😛

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Kbear said:

For me anyway. If I were to use my left foot I would be twisted around.

My ballroom dance partner is constantly telling me that I have two left feet, so using my left foot to lift the bike is a no-brainer for me 🤪

I find the VFR a challenge to get onto the centre stand too. I'm medium height and slim build, but unfortunately not one of those people that's really skinny yet unnaturally strong!

My technique is to turn the bars fully left, grab the left bar with my left hand, grab the rear passenger grab handle with my right hand and pull the bike backwards with as much downward force as possible on the centre stand using my foot. As others have said it's definitely easier with proper boots on. If I've moved the bike to clean it and have got my Nike's on, it's a struggle.

Using that piece on the pillion footpeg looked like a great idea but when I tried it, it was too low for me and hurt my back.

3 hours ago, Dorian said:

Using that piece on the pillion footpeg looked like a great idea but when I tried it, it was too low for me and hurt my back.

True. I found the passenger peg a bit too low for me as well to get a proper hold and lift as I'm pushing down with my foot.

21 hours ago, Dorian said:

My technique is to turn the bars fully left, grab the left bar with my left hand, grab the rear passenger grab handle with my right hand and pull the bike backwards with as much downward force as possible on the centre stand using my foot. As others have said it's definitely easier with proper boots on. If I've moved the bike to clean it and have got my Nike's on, it's a struggle.

I tried your technique of turning the handlebars fully to the left and pulling on that bar as you lift with your righthand on the rear pannier bracket while pushing down on the center stand peddle today. Worked GREAT! Yes, I know that every video will tell you NOT to turn the front wheel in any direction, but I'm telling you it felt much better for me to do than leaving the front wheel straight and not using that handlebar as some sort of leverage. I will definitely be turning the handlebars to the left and using that bars side to help pull the bike backwards and onto the stand!!!! Thank you so much for the advice on using that technique. A real confidence booster.

• Member Contributer
On 6/27/2022 at 4:26 AM, BlackheathMatt said:

the key is to roll the bike and use its momentum to get it onto the stand whilst anchoring the stand with your foot

You summed it up in one statement. Everything else in your post is also very good advice. 👍

As long as people keep on thinking about PULL and LIFT, they will never get it (unless built like the guy in the video that I posted 😄).  Once you get the technique it's just a smooth "roll" with the centrestand as the pivot.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, RossR said:

You summed it up in one statement. Everything else in your post is also very good advice. 👍

As long as people keep on thinking about PULL and LIFT, they will never get it (unless built like the guy in the video that I posted 😄).  Once you get the technique it's just a smooth "roll" with the centrestand as the pivot.

Wot he said. 

• Member Contributer
44 minutes ago, Skids said:

Wot he said. 

Click the little black arrow on the right hand side of the Quote and it will take you to "Wot he said".

• Member Contributer
27 minutes ago, RossR said:

Click the little black arrow on the right hand side of the Quote and it will take you to "Wot he said".

I think Sir doth misunderstand. 

I was agreeing with you m8. 👍

• Member Contributer
30 minutes ago, Skids said:

I think Sir doth misunderstand. 

I was agreeing with you m8. 👍

Ah! Ha! Good Sir! I have been educated! Some more good Blighty slang to add to my lexicon when I next cross the Pond to mingle with my South London mates. 😃

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, RossR said:

Ah! Ha! Good Sir! I have been educated! Some more good Blighty slang to add to my lexicon when I next cross the Pond to mingle with my South London mates. 😃

Surely you mean Sarf Larndon? :goofy:

Do you visit regularly? 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Skids said:

Surely you mean Sarf Larndon? :goofy:

Do you visit regularly? 

Yea! Yea! Mite!

Used to visit annually. Not so much now.

Archived