Lifting to centerstand

Kbear

I did search for this topic but I guess I'm the only dumb one that is asking this. Okay, you have to admit the Gen 6 is a heavy motorcycle, right? I'm always afraid to lift it to the centerstand for fear it will get away from me and fall away from me to the right side. Is there a technique that you guys have a handle on that may give me more confidence in lifting this motorcycle to the centerstand without it getting away from me? Any suggestions on this subject would be great. I know you guys are gonna say lift more weights 🤣.

• Member Contributer

I'm a weakling and getting much heavier bikes on the centerstand takes some practice. I start on the side stand, find a place to firmy grasp the bike (Givi mounts or grab rails) so I can pull it back to the sidestand if need be, push the centerstand to touch the ground while getting bike bike upright. You can feel when both side of the CS touch down, then just push down with that foot and pull back with the firm grasp. So easy a caveman could do it. 

My FJ was a beast...much heavier than the VFR. 

IMG_0731.thumb.JPG.b0be12c4b8515868d2dbcf430ecd0f0a.JPG

• Member Contributer

Once the stand is in contact with the ground and you have a little weight on it, the bike will be as stable as can be. Then it is a matter of pressing down on the stand and lifting/up and back on the frame; I use the edge of the pillion rest as a point to lift on. 

The force needed will vary with how far you need to lift the bike  and it can help to roll the back wheel onto say a bit of plywood; that reduces the lift height and makes it easier. If you have lowered suspension or the stand is on a higher point of ground, the job is tougher. 

18 minutes ago, Terry said:

The force needed will vary with how far you need to lift the bike  and it can help to roll the back wheel onto say a bit of plywood; that reduces the lift height and makes it easier.

I've sure given some thought to rolling the back wheel onto a small piece of plywood (3/4 thick maybe) or something to assist me in lifting it. I have a rear seat cowl so that makes it difficult to hold on in that area. Really I don't find much of anything to hold on to for lifting. Unless I remove the luggage cases. Makes me remove the rear cases every time I would like to lift the rear for chain maintenance. I guess if that's what needs to happen in order for me to keep it from falling away from me.

• Member Contributer

As Bmart explained, you do not lift, you pull it back while holding the center stand with you foot to the ground.

By the way Bmart, Cavemen were much stronger than we are, lol!

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Kbear said:

Is there a technique that you guys have a handle on that may give me more confidence in lifting this motorcycle to the centerstand

Good advice so far, but your reply is vague as to where you hold onto the VFR. I hold the left handlebar with my left hand, foot on the centrestand, and right hand palm-out holding the passenger peg/pannier bracket as indicated below. 

So long as the ground is level your VFR should be quite stable while you lift. As the others note, press down and lift at the same time.

VFR handle.jpg

• Member Contributer

One thing I did that made the job much easier was a good clean and lube on the pivot of the centerstand. My 93 is much older than yours, but mine went from difficult to get on the stand to easy and it didn't look that bad when I took it apart.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Kbear said:

I've sure given some thought to rolling the back wheel onto a small piece of plywood (3/4 thick maybe) or something to assist me in lifting it. I have a rear seat cowl so that makes it difficult to hold on in that area. Really I don't find much of anything to hold on to for lifting. Unless I remove the luggage cases. Makes me remove the rear cases every time I would like to lift the rear for chain maintenance. I guess if that's what needs to happen in order for me to keep it from falling away from me.

With panniers on I imagine you can't get to the handy rail that Lorne highlighted, so maybe you do need to remove the left bag.

My ST1300 weighs a LOT but does come with a fold-out handle for hoisting onto the centerstand. I make things worse for myself (but good for my Mancave floor) by having plywood under the stand, so I get to lift the bike even higher that standard. Without the handle, that would be a no-show.

1380077949_st13handle.png

Not a dumb question at all. We all struggle with this until someone shows us how to do it.

All good advice given so far. To reiterate what's already been said - the most important thing is that you shouldn't aim to be "lifting" the bike, I've hurt myself trying to do that on various bikes before I worked that out - the key is to roll the bike and use its momentum to get it onto the stand whilst anchoring the stand with your foot - it's a bit of a dance but you get the hang of it.

I've got better at it, but I still don't enjoy putting the bike on the centre stand. I understand your fear of dropping it. With the sidestand down it's not doing to fall that side - if you do it with a wall on the other side and something to protect the bar end on that side whilst you're practicing,  it's not going to fall far that side and damage anything if you do drop it. 

Lots of how to videos on YouTube of not particularly big or strong people putting bigger bikes that these on centre stands.

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, Terry said:

Once the stand is in contact with the ground and you have a little weight on it, the bike will be as stable as can be.

Shoes matter here, FYI, I've seen folks try our method with s%$t shoes or flip flops and you can imagine what happens next...

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, Wald said:

A shame we'll never meet a full blooded neanderthal. Those dudes look stout!

file-20190130-108351-1btg7w0.jpg?ixlib=rb-1.1.0&q=45&auto=format&w=754&fit=clip

• Member Contributer

And if you have a human who can help, have them do the lifting from under the luggage while you use your foot on the lever. Once you sort out the mechanics and direction of effort, it is pretty easy. 

• Member Contributer

I'll absolutely agree with what's been said: your issue is right in the title: LIFTING TO CENTERSTAND. You don't lift, that's an easy way to a bad back

or hernia. 🙂 When you get the centerstand legs on the ground, both of them, concentrate on pushing the centerstand into the ground, use the

bike for leverage to help in pushing down. Don't consciously lift up, just press down, done right, the bike will all but leap onto the centerstand. Of

course this is all a lot tougher if the bike has been lowered.

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, Wald said:

As Bmart explained, you do not lift, you pull it back while holding the center stand with you foot to the ground.

They still exist, SERIOUSLY!

• Member Contributer

Magical. I'll have to try that one! I think he has ~200# on me...

• Member Contributer

Americans have gotten...impressive in size. Part of why I don't fly anywhere is that I got tired of having to give up one or both halves of my seat. 

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, Kbear said:

I did search for this topic but I guess I'm the only dumb one that is asking this. Okay, you have to admit the Gen 6 is a heavy motorcycle, right? I'm always afraid to lift it to the centerstand for fear it will get away from me and fall away from me to the right side. Is there a technique that you guys have a handle on that may give me more confidence in lifting this motorcycle to the centerstand without it getting away from me? Any suggestions on this subject would be great. I know you guys are gonna say lift more weights 🤣.

Absolutely no such thing as a dumb question. Most of us on this forum are happy to help if we can, and forum searches don't always work too good.

No, you do not have to lift weights because centrestand technique is precisely that - a technique.

I have a 5th gen so I do not know exactly where your lifting handle is.

I started riding in the seventies and came back to riding after a decades long hiatus. The first thing that I noticed is that there is too much fashion over function with many modern bikes and I was nervous when using the centrestand despite having heavier bikes in the past. The modern centrestands do not seem to be not as wide as my old CB750 and GS1000E stands ( I could be wrong here as it was a long time ago), and that gives you that 'nervous' feeling when you first bring the stand down.

The most important thing is to have the right hand foot of the stand touch the ground before you start lifting the bike. Have a friend stand on the other side to give you confidence in case you feel that the bike is going to topple. At this point the bike should feel very stable. Now reduce the weight on your left foot while holding the lifting handle and put all your weight on your right foot on the stand. If you are a heavy person the bike will almost go back on its own as it pivots on the stand. Do not pull on the handlebars. Your left hand is there only to keep the bars straight. As you apply all your bodyweight to you right foot, pull back on the lifting handle while the bike pivots on the stand and moves backwards with momentum. It is just a light guiding pull, not a Herculean one.

To get the bike off the stand I straddle it and push or rock it as I am tall.

If you do this a dozen times with a friend on the opposite side you will learn the technique pretty fast.

It goes without saying that you have to be on level ground to use the centrestand.

Sorry that this is so long winded but without showing you in person the explanation is long.

A few videos to help you out' The last video is Max from Traxxion Dynamics suspension...... a Goldwing. Observe how wide the stand is on that bike. That's what makes it very stable. That's what I was referring to in my opening comments. My CBR1100XX has the worst centrestand that I have ever seen....very narrow, on a top heavy bike, yet the lady in the second video has no problem lifting it. It's all about the pivoting technique.

One of my favourite youtube channels, and there are tons of other videos on you tube showing you how to put a heavy bike on the centrestand.

Hope this helps

Awesome guys!!!! All the great advice is super. I have a couple other motorcycles with centerstands that are not of any issues, but for some odd reason this 2007 VFR800 seems a bit awkward lifting to that stand for me. Maybe it's because I'm afraid of having it get away from me and fall on the right side while I'm placing it on the stand. I need far more practice then I originally thought. I have placed it on the centerstand before (without panniers) but yet I didn't feel comfortable doing so hence the asking if there was something I was missing. Everything you Gentlemen have suggested is fantastic and I will try them all until I can feel more confident with placing this motorcycle on the stand.

Been practicing "rolling" the VFR on to the centerstand. For me anyway this is a heavy motor. I wanted to make sure I can lift, roll, on to the stand with the panniers on. It can depend on where I place my right foot on the lift peddle as to how well it will work. If I place my foot on the ball there's a balance issue so I end up putting more of the arch of my foot on that peddle, just behind the ball of my foot. Also you need to have somewhat stiff soles on your shoes. My PUMA tennis shoes where not having it. As Lorne said to use the pannier bracket I did. At first I didn't think I had access to that bracket with the panniers on but I do. This makes it much easier to roll back while lifting at the same time as well as pushing down on the lift peddle. Still this is a heavy motorcycle and as I push the lift peddle to the concrete floor I get this uneasy feeling that it wants to fall away from me to the right. I know I'm just being a puss and I need to get over it. I will, I just need to place it on the centerstand more often. Thanks, again, everyone for the great responses to my naive centerstand lifting issues! 😎👍

20220629_092355.thumb.jpg.82d0b78c47508c50c88661a372d25fc0.jpg

• Member Contributer

Try left foot, so your body isn't twisted. 

• Member Contributer
43 minutes ago, Kbear said:

Been practicing "rolling" the VFR on to the centerstand. For me anyway this is a heavy motor. I wanted to make sure I can lift, roll, on to the stand with the panniers on. It can depend on where I place my right foot on the lift peddle as to how well it will work. If I place my foot on the ball there's a balance issue so I end up putting more of the arch of my foot on that peddle, just behind the ball of my foot. Also you need to have somewhat stiff soles on your shoes. My PUMA tennis shoes where not having it. As Lorne said to use the pannier bracket I did. At first I didn't think I had access to that bracket with the panniers on but I do. This makes it much easier to roll back while lifting at the same time as well as pushing down on the lift peddle. Still this is a heavy motorcycle and as I push the lift peddle to the concrete floor I get this uneasy feeling that it wants to fall away from me to the right. I know I'm just being a puss and I need to get over it. I will, I just need to place it on the centerstand more often. Thanks, again, everyone for the great responses to my naive centerstand lifting issues! 😎👍

20220629_092355.thumb.jpg.82d0b78c47508c50c88661a372d25fc0.jpg

You have probably heard the joke about how you get to Carnegie Hall.  Practice! Practice! Practice!

I have a few tips to go along with what everyone else said.

Use the ball of your foot.  You have more power there.  Wear boots.  I use my passenger footpeg bracket for my hand to grip.  I use my knee against the bike for stability til both legs of the center stand touch the ground.  Then I put all my weight on the center stand while pulling up on the footpeg bracket with my right hand, and pull backwards on the handlebar with my left hand.  I have used a board under the rear tire, it does help, but I don't anymore.

My goldwing buddy just uses reverse to get on his center stand.  I hate that!

To get off, put the bike in gear so it doesn't roll away.  Put the side stand down.   Rock forward and keep it balanced.  Good luck.  It gets easier with practice.

Archived