Cam chain noise

afwjam

21 hours ago, Grum said:

Cam chain tension on a 1200 is done very differently compared to the 6 and 8gen. Has there ever been a confirmed failure of the 1200 type internal tensioners?

The sound you're getting doesn't have the same characteristic slap/clatter sound you tend to get on a 6gen when the CCT plunger type unit plays up, and it never appears to be the actual internal tensioner that gives any trouble on a 6gen.

From what I gather all the other models use the modern plunger style cam tensioner. The 1200 is using the old school wedge style. They operate differently and would fail in different ways. Not sure mine are “failing”, but the sound I hear cold is very clearly located on the rear cylinder bank where the cam chain passes through the case. Advantage of the plunger style is replacement takes 5 minutes and two bolts. I’m not terribly worried now, it seems to be common, I will be investigating the valves including the rockers and tensioners in the near future and will continue to try and diagnose the noise, can’t help myself. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived