5th gen plastics help

Ughandi

• Member Contributer

After wrecking a few months back, I have been nose-down in ebay and local facebook listings to source some new(er) plastics for the front, and right side...

...To no avail.

I'm in need of some wind therapy, and I need some advice.

I dont particularly want to sell my bike, especially without the plastics (unrideable/unsellable condition imo), but I also dont want to buy another whole bike just to scavenge the plastics from it.... it would be financially irresponsible.

Any ideas from the hive mind?

• Member Contributer

I have been thinking about that... less weight, less things to break, easy access for maintenance

It would be a heck of an undertaking (lots of wires to hide, and brackets to make), and it may detract from the 'sleeper' look I've been maintaining. 

• Member Contributer

Can you get cheap plastics from eBay-China? Review are adequate from the ones I've seen. 

• Member Contributer

I 'can', but If there was a distributor that has rapport in the USA for fairings (Monster Fairings, for instance - they dont supply 5th gen plastics) then I would certainly go that route! I just cannot blindly trust some random company on ebay with $500 and delivery estimate of 6 weeks with no customer support. 

@Ughandi Thats what creditcards (with purchase insurance) are for 😄 There are much more affordable 5th gen plastic options

Nah but jokes aside, I have alot of experience on chinese sites like Aliexpress. Almost all Aliexpress sales are well protected, you can open disputes if the parts dont fit or are not as advertised and then get your money back. Some sellers are hesitant to give money back but then someone from the platform reviews the case and decides from there if you cant come to an agreement. The sketchier stuff i either use my creditcard's 'insurance' or Paypal.

You cannot beat the fairings from ebay.  I had no problems.  He even made me a front cowl with no headlights for track days.  Paint quality was very good.  You probably get them much sooner than 6 weeks.  I am in Illinois and it amazes me I get stuff faster from China than I do from Callie.

Ughandi,

I have a set of aftermarket plastics for a silver 2001.   They are "passable" on viewing, but the seams are not great, and screwing them off is certainly not to the spec of Honda OEM fairing parts.  I purchased a donor bike and used the OEM plastics.  This is when a discovered that there had been twisting of brackets, and shims, to get everything to fit.

So, following that disclaimer, I'm happy to part with them with no product cost, if you cover the expense of packaging and shipping (and maybe a set of VFR decals for when I paint my bike).  I'm located near Toronto, Canada.

Peter

• Member Contributer
On 6/18/2022 at 8:20 PM, Ughandi said:

I 'can', but If there was a distributor that has rapport in the USA for fairings (Monster Fairings, for instance - they dont supply 5th gen plastics) then I would certainly go that route! I just cannot blindly trust some random company on ebay with $500 and delivery estimate of 6 weeks with no customer support. 

Many people on this forum have been happy with auctmarts on ebay. They do not have 5th Gen in stock but probably have the moulds for it in China as they used to sell them. They will custom paint for you.

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?%2Fprofile%2F30461-thebigtea%2F=

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/303754167804?amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA0GXNUQg3R4kLFpo%2FdtxSvRDvH3Bkwv%2FcjzeX846uxN%2FYbBaQ1L98G2j%2ByBo7i8L6DGTWMtonyTZ827bIfUjvXgN960a5TOI9yKdgarfmUpZReUU09CkQYU%2BFO8VDzBTq1N01GN6qnbmI9SsTTmLjpHMpxxOhzQWrxh%2BekRraDf5SelD%2FLtZIHDhdhuDx9eHM%2BAb7CoM0IRGDvt7c2nxJ1nyBN3AkIek6rkowbW%2BtaH9qYFkvL5YYvaH0%2BnbsLMkEL69P6V9M1iBuR17mtqkGEfs%3D|tkp%3ABFBM6P_wtrBg&vxp=mtr

https://shop.auctmarts.com/

OR

If you are willing to spend $$$ a USA company in your home State. they are very open to phone calls.

https://www.airtech-streamlining.com/honda-fairings-seats-fenders-parts/VFR8001998-01.htm

It all depends on what your riding and your 5th gen is worth to you!

I have seen some really crappy ABS fairings from China.  AuctMarts and Monster are the only companies that I would trust, based on other peoples reviews.

Ebay prices for damaged fairings are just daft!

Hope this helps.

• Member Contributer
22 hours ago, RossR said:

If you are willing to spend $$$ a USA company in your home State. they are very open to phone calls.

https://www.airtech-streamlining.com/honda-fairings-seats-fenders-parts/VFR8001998-01.htm

It all depends on what your riding and your 5th gen is worth to you!

THIS Is what I have been looking for. 

Thank you oh so much. Unfortunately I go to sea for a few months very soon, but I will be in touch with them once I return.

Will update the hive mind on my experience with them.

• Member Contributer
32 minutes ago, Ughandi said:

Thank you oh so much. Unfortunately I go to sea for a few months very soon, but I will be in touch with them once I return.

Makes me happy if helps you. We are all kindred spirits.

• Member Contributer

Ughandhi,

Just by chance, I came across this post on the cbrxx.com forum (I have an XX as well as the VFR).   Adeyren, the poster is a very friendly and prolific poster on this site as well as he owns a VFR too. Gives you an idea of Auctmarts fairings.

https://www.cbrxx.com/threads/auctmart-fairing-install-experience.28103/

You are based in San Diego, so I guess you are in the Navy.

• Member Contributer

I went the Auctmarts path on my last 5th gen after a drop on the right side in 2015 which rashed the top fairing, side fairing and the tail piece. I was mostly happy with the result, the fit was mostly very good barring the join between the side and top fairing but that wasn't awful. Certainly needed to massage some of the holes, and I got my own stickers. I sent them a piece of the old fairing and got a brilliant colour match. The only fail was one of the attachments for the black cowl in the fairing chin which broke off but I glued that back. The paint was shiny but a bit prone to chipping compared to stock. The picture is of the replaced side. They weren't easy to communicate with (emails felt very dodgy) but were honorable. 

IMG_3330.JPG

• Member Contributer
7 minutes ago, Terry said:

I went the Auctmarts path on my last 5th gen after a drop on the right side in 2015 which rashed the top fairing, side fairing and the tail piece. I was mostly happy with the result, the fit was mostly very good barring the join between the side and top fairing but that wasn't awful. Certainly needed to massage some of the holes, and I got my own stickers. I sent them a piece of the old fairing and got a brilliant colour match. The only fail was one of the attachments for the black cowl in the fairing chin which broke off but I glued that back. The paint was shiny but a bit prone to chipping compared to stock. The picture is of the replaced side. They weren't easy to communicate with (emails felt very dodgy) but were honorable. 

IMG_3330.JPG

Does your bike live in a showroom. Wow! You really keep it nice looking. The frame, rims and muffler look like new. My Yellow '99 has black wheels and I am almost tempted to strip the paint and polish them when I look at yours.

Aftermarket fairings are always going to be a compromise one way or another. That's why I am always on the lookout for used undamaged fairings in my area at a reasonable price.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, RossR said:

Does your bike live in a showroom. Wow! You really keep it nice looking. The frame, rims and muffler look like new. My Yellow '99 has black wheels and I am almost tempted to strip the paint and polish them when I look at yours.

Aftermarket fairings are always going to be a compromise one way or another. That's why I am always on the lookout for used undamaged fairings in my area at a reasonable price.

I admit it, I have an addiction to cleaning and polishing. Those silver rims were stock, and I owned the bike from 74000 to 105000km. My current yellow 99 has the black rims and the fron has a little corrosion damage from being parked outside by a PO. The paint is just in great condition and has been looked after by others before me. I made it shinier however...

IMG_2961.JPG

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Terry said:

I admit it, I have an addiction to cleaning and polishing. Those silver rims were stock, and I owned the bike from 74000 to 105000km. My current yellow 99 has the black rims and the fron has a little corrosion damage from being parked outside by a PO. The paint is just in great condition and has been looked after by others before me. I made it shinier however...

IMG_2961.JPG

Hi Terry,

Nothing wrong with caring for what you own. Meticulous about caring for your bikes is what I would call it rather than an addiction. I have had exactly the same attitude since childhood. If any part of the bike doesn't look pristine I have to deal with it if possible.

It's always such a pleasure to see well cared for items. That's probably why I was so struck by how good looking your bike was. I feel it's even more important then ever now to keep things in good shape, with limited natural resources on their way out.

May I ask what you used on the Red VFR's 'natural' rims?  I have always been unsure if they have any coating from the factory that I would damage. Just this week a guy at the Honda parts counter recommended a product called Nevr-Dull® for metal. You actually have to use gloves when using it so it probably polishes by a chemical reaction rather than an abrasive one. I acquired a well maintained CBR1100XX last year that needs some cosmetic TLC.

• Member Contributer
On 6/21/2022 at 4:09 PM, Ughandi said:

Here is one more company for you. You can search the forum to see if anybody has used them.

https://www.nicecycle.com/Honda-VFR-800-Fairings-s/97.htm

This what they claim under the FAQ tab at the bottom

All About Quality:
We sell and stock only the best motorcycle parts! We use only the highest grade ABS plastic available! Our fairings are individually inspected before shipment, our quality control is unsurpassed. Our fairings are painted by skilled professionals with years of experience. Side by side with OEM you cannot tell them apart. NiceCycle Fairings offer superb fitment; the best in the aftermarket fairing industry. Heatshield insulation is included with all fairings that require it. We do NOT guarantee a direct color match with factory OEM bodywork.

• Member Contributer
On 6/24/2022 at 12:18 AM, RossR said:

Hi Terry,

Nothing wrong with caring for what you own. Meticulous about caring for your bikes is what I would call it rather than an addiction. I have had exactly the same attitude since childhood. If any part of the bike doesn't look pristine I have to deal with it if possible.

It's always such a pleasure to see well cared for items. That's probably why I was so struck by how good looking your bike was. I feel it's even more important then ever now to keep things in good shape, with limited natural resources on their way out.

May I ask what you used on the Red VFR's 'natural' rims?  I have always been unsure if they have any coating from the factory that I would damage. Just this week a guy at the Honda parts counter recommended a product called Nevr-Dull® for metal. You actually have to use gloves when using it so it probably polishes by a chemical reaction rather than an abrasive one. I acquired a well maintained CBR1100XX last year that needs some cosmetic TLC.

Pretty sure the rims on all these are powder coated from the factory, so I have been known to remove tar with WD40/kerosene then apply some polish like Turtle Wax or similar.

• Member Contributer
53 minutes ago, Terry said:

Pretty sure the rims on all these are powder coated from the factory, so I have been known to remove tar with WD40/kerosene then apply some polish like Turtle Wax or similar.

Thanks.  So if they are powder coated definitely not a good idea to use metal polish unless one wants to do it on a very regular basis as it will most likely damage the powder coating/

• Member Contributer
On 6/25/2022 at 11:00 AM, RossR said:

Thanks.  So if they are powder coated definitely not a good idea to use metal polish unless one wants to do it on a very regular basis as it will most likely damage the powder coating/

Ummm...metal polish is great for metals. I use cut/polish and then wax on painted surfaces.

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer
On 6/20/2022 at 4:38 PM, RossR said:

I have returned from the sea.

I personally visited and chatted with the manager the other day. They have a backlog of 4 weeks. I should have new fiberglass plastics by my birthday!!
These guys have serious racing heritage, and are eager to share tips and advise on plastics, mounting, materials, repair, etc.

FYSA for you VFR Ballers out there: They are well-versed in carbon composites and are capable of making a full carbon VFR shell for whoever has the cash. It's one of those "If you have to ask, you can't afford it" situations, but that may not stop one of you guys ;D

Now to get Hornet roadworthy again...

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, vfrcapn said:

I've got a red set in the classifieds but I assume you're looking for yellow?

Sure am. It's the fastest color, dontchyaknow ;D

Already paid for this fiberglass set to be made. No backing down now.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 9/5/2022 at 12:48 PM, Ughandi said:

Now to get Hornet roadworthy again...

Hornet? No! No! No!

This is the Hornet.

https://canadamotoguide.com/2022/06/07/coming-soon-a-new-honda-hornet/

Please post pics once your bike is up and running. Glad to hear that fairings will be on the way for you soon.

Archived