1998 Speedo out by 20% +

Jeffo

Bit of background: I purchased a non running 98 that had been neglected for some years and wires/hoses chewed by rodents that had built a nest in the V.  After much work it is now on the road but the speedo shows 80kph when doing 100kph.  Checking with a GPS phone app it seems to be reasonably accurate up to around 30.  Have checked the speed sender and the little plastic socket that fits over the countershaft sprocket nut seems tight.  Any ideas?

BTW gearing is 17-45 which should put it out more the other way

Any chance you have found a speedo healer somewhere while building the bike up? most likely to be placed under the fairings or under the seat.

When putting back the speedsensor did you check that the end of the speedsensor was seated properly in the sprocket nut?

No speedo healer found.

Speed sensor....I hadn't actually touched that part of the bike until I noticed the problem.  I have since had it off and replaced.  It is clear that it was engaged previously by the wear marks.

• Member Contributer

Hi Jeff.

Assume you have the Service Manual?

Might be worth running the voltage and continuity checks (see attached).

Also make sure that the Ground wire for the Speed Sensor and Instrument panel Grounds measure near Zero Ohms/continuity back to the battery negative terminal.

Check the three mounting screws for the Speedo are making good contact to the copper tracks of the panel printed circuit board, perhaps a little Ox-gard under the screw heads might help.

The three screw heads will be 1. The Pink wire back to the Speed Sensor output. 2. Ground via the Green/Black wire. 3. 12v via the Brown/Blue wire back to Fuse G 10amp.

So check the continuity of the Pink wire from the instrument panel screw head back to the Speed Sensor and the Ground and 12v at the screw heads.

Failing all of the above you most likley have an issue within the Speedo itself.

Good luck.

20220617_112913.jpg

IMG_1487.PNG

20220617_132929.jpg

Archived