Leaking Brake Fluid

mkrouse

• Member Contributer

1999 VFR800FI

I've garaged this original CA bike for about 5 years, for friend in NC. He last visited in September 2021 when we rode 2,500 miles from AZ to Wyoming, returning through Utah.

I start it ocassionally, infrequently ride it 10 miles, then park it for a couple of months. Mid May 2022 I noticed a spot on the floor, under the RIGHT fork assembly. Fork seal or brake fluid? Caliper soaked. Pads not bad. Dropped the caliper, removed the pads, cleaned with brake cleaner. Cleaned the exterior of the fork tube. Reassembled and left the front brake engaged over night with velcro strips.

Next day it appeared everything dry. Went for a 15 mile ride with heavy sustained braking. Parked it and it appeared dry. Today I noticed a familiar spot. No riding since previous test ride. Static leak. See photo.

I'd appreciate a diagnosis. Fork tube dry.  Any help appreciated.

PXL_20220615_182101002.jpg

PXL_20220615_182451852.jpg

Is the brake reservoir dropping?  That'd be a telltale sign of something going wrong with the brakes.

I'd recommend buying a caliper seal kit and cleaning/rebuilding both calipers.  Did mine 2 years ago on a '99 that I'm pretty sure had never been serviced (bike is a 20K mile garage queen that was new to me at the time).  The sludge in the caliper was all the confirmation that I needed that I did the right thing.  It wasn't a tough job, and now I know that my bike is in tip top condition.  If you like wrenching, which I do, it was enjoyable.  If you don't you may need to find a mechanic.  But I'd try to get the owner to cover the costs, which aren't exceptionally high.  My seal kit from eBay was $37.55 USD 2 years ago.  Had everything I needed.  I have the shop manual and followed that for disassembly/reassembly/flushing etc.

As an aside, around that time I also sent of my forks off to Jamie Daugherty for springs and valving appropriate for my build (most Japanese bikes are sprung for a 140 lb rider - I'm close to double that).  That wasn't cheap, but was money well spent.  It was winter and I wasn't riding it, so I went through and freshened everything up and made it mine.  Even ordered a Staintune high mount exhaust from Australia.  Delicious sounds from that thing.  Wow!

I recently rebuilt the forks on my 1997 Valkyrie, it's not an impossible job if you have to do it.   I ended up buying a few special tools, but I plan to keep these bikes forever, so it was worth it.  If your fork seal is bad, that's a pretty easy job, and there are plenty of resources to walk you through it.  But I'd look into the brakes first.  

• Member Contributer

Just an update. After cleaning and a 15 mile raid one month ago, bike sat for a month and I noticed brake fluid leaking again. This time I checked the rear reservoir and it was bone dry. Front reservoir is full. The owner responded, probably in jest, "I don't use the rear brake much". 

But Bob...

Archived