OBD2 port

StubyDoo

I have an engine light on after washing so it's probably water ingress.  I can't for the life of me find the OBD2 port to plug a code reader in, can anyone tell me where it is.  I've looked under both seats and taken the battery cover off. 

Cheers. 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, StubyDoo said:

I have an engine light on after washing so it's probably water ingress.  I can't for the life of me find the OBD2 port to plug a code reader in, can anyone tell me where it is.  I've looked under both seats and taken the battery cover off. 

Cheers. 

Best to download the Service Manual from this forum if you don't already have it. You don't need to plug in a reader to extract an historical fault code. However at this stage you only need to be interested in current active codes.

With your Sidestand Down, Ignition to On, Kill Switch to Run. Does the Fi Light flash a Code? Or is the Fi Light just fully on all the time?

At Ignition Switch On are you always hearing the Fuel Pump prime for approximately 3 secs?

27 minutes ago, Grum said:

Best to download the Service Manual from this forum if you don't already have it. You don't need to plug in a reader to extract an historical fault code. However at this stage you only need to be  interested in current active codes.

With your Sidestand Down, Ignition to On, Kill Switch to run. Does the Fi Light flash a Code? Or is the Fi Light just fully on all the time?

At Ignition Switch On are you always hearing the Fuel Pump prime for approximately 3 secs?

Hi Grum, thanks for taking the time to reply.  Yes I hear the fuel pump prime and the light is on without flashing. 

• Member Contributer

Tell me more! So Sidestand down Ignition to On, Kill Switch to Run. Does it flash a code?

Can you start your Bike? Does it crank over but does not start?

16 minutes ago, Grum said:

Tell me more! So Sidestand down Ignition to On, Kill Switch to Run. Does it flash a code?

Can you start your Bike? Does it crank over but does not start?

It doesn't flash a code and it starts and rides.  It's just showing a steady fi light

• Member Contributer
On 6/13/2022 at 10:16 PM, StubyDoo said:

It doesn't flash a code and it starts and rides.  It's just showing a steady fi light

Ok, you may have got some water into the instrument panel or plugs between the panel and/or the ECM.

Suggest running the engine up to a high temperature, shut it down then let it sit for a good few hours, or overnight then see how it is the next day, hopefully some heat soaking might sort it out.

The Fi light fully On would normally mean a power loss to the ECM, or an active fault detected, however you don't have that issue, so your getting a false indication possibly induced by water somewhere where it shouldn't be, or a possibility of Brown diagnostic wire short to Ground (refer your red DLC connector next to your right fuse box)!

Good luck, keep us posted with how it goes.

Cheers.  I had to nip out local at lunch time so i went on the bike. Light is still on but it rode okay, when I got back I left it run until the fan kicked in. I was hoping I could just plug in and obd2 reader and reset the light. 

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, StubyDoo said:

I was hoping I could just plug in and obd2 reader and reset the light. 

Not sure, the Service Manual makes no mention of being able to do this.

I'm am sure that at every switch On the ECM does its own self checks and after Fuel Prime the Fi light is reset.

Your ECM might be in the Read/Clear memory history state, which might mean a short somewhere along the Brown wire and Ground of the DLC connector.

Hopefully after a day to allow moisture to fully clear your fault might disappear!

54 minutes ago, Grum said:

Not sure, the Service Manual makes no mention of being able to do this.

I'm am sure that at every switch On the ECM does its own self checks and after Fuel Prime the Fi light is reset.

Your ECM might be in the Read/Clear memory history state, which might mean a short somewhere along the Brown wire and Ground of the DLC connector.

Hopefully after a day to allow moisture to fully clear your fault might disappear!

After reading the service manual I'd say you are correct.  I'll take the fairings of and see if I can dry some of the plugs out. Thanks for your help. 

• Member Contributer
14 minutes ago, StubyDoo said:

That will be why I can't find a obd plug 🙂 Cheers. 

And also there are differences between the 14 to 15 model compared to 2016 onwards, with being able to use a General Scan Tool. See attached.

20220614_085053.png

• Member Contributer

Wait! ECU's not OBD2, but uses older K-line protocol? Then forget any kind of generic scan-tool, those won't be talking correct language anyway!

• Member Contributer
8 minutes ago, StubyDoo said:

I'm happy to report the light went out after my 15 mile commute this morning.  Thanks for all the info guys.

Stu

Good news Stu, glad its sorted, some good drying out was what it needed.

Trust you don't wash your bike with a high pressure washer? These things can certainly get water where you don't want it.

Cheers.

38 minutes ago, Grum said:

Good news Stu, glad its sorted, some good drying out was what it needed.

Trust you don't wash your bike with a high pressure washer? These things can certainly get water where you don't want it.

Cheers.

I do use a jet wash and always have without issue.  What I did differently was this:  My last VFR which was a 2014 turned to shit riding it through the winter but the front cylinder head was especially bad (I did paint it when it was off last), so on this wash I bent down with the jet wash pointing up under the fair on to the cyclinder head.  Lesson learned and I won't be doing that again but I will continue to use the jet wash.  Some people say yes to jet wash and some say no.  I'm in the yes camp!

Your comments were especially helpful.  I read the manual but didn't really understand what I was reading but I have a better insight now.  Cheers.

• Member Contributer

Perhaps as easy as blocking with a sheet of plastic if you have to do it again! Shrink wrap is also great for this sort of thing. I wrap my spare parts in it before they go on a shelf. 

Archived