Opinions wanted on Brake line extension without removing OEM line

RossR

Question

• Member Contributer

Helibars sells an adjustable handlebar kit for many bikes that have tubular bars. They do not recommend removing and replacing OEM lines with longer ones. Instead, they supply a 13cm Line extension with a Bleeder banjo bolt to attach to the master cylinderThey say that little to no bleeding is required with this method. It makes sense to me and would be a lot cheaper and less time consuming than replacing entire lines. Also, this way one can easily revert to OEM setup if wanted.

I wondered what you guys with extensive hydraulic hose experience think about this.

https://www.helibars.com/comfort/handlebar-risers-adaptors/hydraulic-line-extension-5-1-8-inch-13cm-length/

This is the kind of Helibar that they supply it with. ST1100 that has LBS.

https://www.helibars.com/honda/helibars-horizon-multi-axis-adjustable-handlebars-for-honda-st1100/

8 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

I didn't get it at first, but I think it's a cool idea.

Also I'm glad I found some 1st Gen Helibars for my ST.  

• Member Contributer

Looks like a smart solution to me. 

• Member Contributer

Nothing I own is visually pleasing! lol

Assuming that one could mount it on whatever end they wish?

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the input. It seems like the consensus is that it is a practical solution. I had never seen it mentioned on any forum and I am at Pre-School level with regard to this topic, that's why I asked. It seemed like an easy, elegant solution to have an easily reversible situation. especially if one already has steel braided lines on their bike. I watched a novice install these on a Goldwing in under 5 minutes for each side.

9 hours ago, bmart said:

Nothing I own is visually pleasing! lol

Assuming that one could mount it on whatever end they wish?

- Fully in agreement with you. The purpose of new handlebars is to make the bike comfortable, so minor aesthetic changes are unimportant to me.

- If there is a hydraulic line shop in your area you do not even have to order online.

Addressing your second statement, I don't see any reason why one could not add the extension to the caliper end, but then full bleeding would be required at the caliper. Attaching it to the master cylinder together with the bleeder banjo bolt.  virtually eliminates full bleeding at the caliper. It's surprising how many people are intimidated by brake bleeding.

I will add to the conversation.  Helibars also sells sells extension adapters that bolt on to the master cylinder to give a 40mm extension without adding any extension line. I looked up the company that makes these adapters, and in fact they have a range of nice riser and brake products. These are adapters that can go on to either end to give  30mm-40mm of extra length which is ideal if you are adding the clipon Helibars or just a flat bar. It's not clear to me why one would choose the black CNC milled one over the conventional one other than for looks. The introductory spiel on the webpage is in German so here is the Google Translation:

Which adapter to use?

Universal radial adapter 3cm:
This adapter can be used almost anywhere (independent of vehicle manufacturers) and extends the hose by approx. 3cm. It is attached to the master cylinder, distributor or brake caliper with the original banjo bolt with a thread pitch M10x1.0, M10x1.25 or 3/8". The original brake or clutch hose is then attached to the adapter with the enclosed banjo bolt. The slim design is an advantage for radial hand brake cylinders. Overall, this adapter is less conspicuous than the universal adapter.

Universal adapter 4cm:
This adapter can almost always be used (all vehicle manufacturers) and extends the hose by approx. 4cm. It is attached to the master cylinder, distributor or brake caliper with the original banjo bolt with a thread pitch M10x1.0, M10x1.25 or 3/8". The original brake or clutch hose is then attached to the adapter with the enclosed banjo bolt. Note on radial hand brake cylinders: In the case of the 90° variant, a collision with the tank may occur at maximum steering angle.

Rod adapter 3cm:
These can be used in many places to extend brake hoses. A thread pitch of M10x1.0 or M10x1.25 is required. Common applications are master brake cylinders with lateral outlet, master cylinder, distributor, transitions between brake hose and steel tube (also in ABS systems), on control units and directly on brake calipers.

Special BMW brake and clutch  adapters 3cm:
Some BMW motorcycles have special fittings made of plastic alloys and with special types of gaskets. There are special adapters for this. Use has only been verified on listed vehicles. The hose outlet is optimized by the 15° outlet angle, so these are technically optimal and can be used quite unobtrusively.

In the case of the universal and rod adapters in particular, it must be checked on site which adapter makes the most sense. This is very different due to the different routing of hydraulic lines. If you are unsure about this, we would be happy to receive a photo by e-mail.]

Shipped from Germany, the cost is actually less than buying from Helibars (to Canada). As a safety item they have to meet TUV standards so quality is guaranteed.

The website.

https://voigt-mt.de/Extension-adaptors

• Member Contributer

Hydraulics is hydraulics, so it will certainly work. 

Not so sure about the brake bleeding justification, though.  Most people bleed brakes at the caliper end (though it makes more sense to do it at the master cylinder end, where the bubbles want to go anyway).  It may be a practical solution, but a bulky and clunky one, IMHO. 

I'd just make some new teflon lines (or have them made) and keep the OEM ones in a box for when the risers got removed.

Ciao,

JZH

Archived