Install a yellow box speedo correction

Guest stevesklar

Guest stevesklar

The Yellow Box is a speedo correction unit.  All VFRs seem to be 8% high.  So if you are going 90mph you are actually going 82.8.  25mph=23. If you've ridden 3,000 miles you've actually have gone 2,760.  Quite annoying and accelerates depreciation.

If anyone is fairly unfamiliar with maintenance that I am then these instructions may help.  I got my gracious help from Yippee757.

Of course, the unit comes with good instructions, these just help the understand and simplicity of the entire project. Good Luck.

I'll be adding some pictures to this. I plan on doing the install this weekend.

1. Remove LH Fairing

2. Remove sensor from bike, it's just two bolts at the fwd sprocket.

3.Take the whole thing in the house and solder it there.

4.Make sure you strip the wires a minimum of 4 inches from the connector.

5.Strip the black wire, do NOT cut it.

6.Strip the green wire, do NOT cut it.

7.Cut the pink wire and strip both ends about and inch

8.Solder it all up, make sure the white from the box goes to the sensor side of the pink wire and the green from the box to the connector side of the pink.

9.Bring it out to the bike and plug it in.

10.Turn the key on

11. You should have indication on the speedo at this point.  If not, check your wiring

12.Install the sensor, do NOT wrap the wires yet, trust me.

13.Start the bike on the center stand.

14.Put the bike in gear and let the clutch out

15.You should have a speed showing up now other then "0"

16.If you do NOT have a speed indication, you need to check the wiring.

17.If the speedo indicates, you can shut down the bike.

18.Remove the sensor and tape the connections.

19.I routed the wire up the wire bungle by the frame and under the radiator hose. Then I zip tie the box in the bay for the LH turn signal.  You'll see a clear boot over some connectors.  That's where mine sits.  

20.I did all the test runs and dialed in 8% correction.

21.Apply RTV to the box switched and the connector.  RTV is a GE product that is silicon based.  The box is NOT water tight.  Even though it's in the fairing, I'd hate to run it because I didn't goop it up.  The RTV will come off if you need it to.

22.Reinstall the fairing, now is a great time to do your oil change too.

• Member Contributer

The Yellow Box is a speedo correction unit. ?All VFRs seem to be 8% high. ?So if you are going 90mph you are actually going 82.8. ?25mph=23. If you've ridden 3,000 miles you've actually have gone 2,760. ?Quite annoying and accelerates depreciation.

I was under the impression that, while the speedometer runs eight to ten percent optimistic, the odometer itself is reasonably accurate. ?

Maybe some kindly soul with a gps can check this?

Guest RedFlyer
If you've ridden 3,000 miles you've actually have gone 2,760. ?Quite annoying and accelerates depreciation.

Hold it folks.  Based upon everything I've read (and checking my own odometer on a number of occasions) the VFR odo is right on the money.  It's the speedo that's 8% off (also verified).  the Yellow box will change both the speedo and the odo, which means you'll show less miles than you've actually put on.

But if the speedo is off and the odo isn't how would adding the yellow box make the odo off?  If the error isn't on both I don't understand how it would also add to the odo when you put the box on.

Yes, my speedo is about 8% high, the odo is right on (ie. <1%). ?Verified by GPS.

Yellow box finally going on this weekend. ?I ordered some Hitachi 3 pin connectors so I don't have to slice/dice the speedo sensor wire and have the option of removing the yeller box should I sell the bike.

• Forum CEO

The reason I never went about doing this mod is I like to try different tires, Dunlops, Bridgestones, Avons, ect to find the best setup.  I understand the speed sensor is run off of the same shaft as the front sprocket.  There is no permenent way of calibrating it since tires wear down, esp rear tires, front tires spins a different rate as the rear around corners.

Say you install the yellow box and calibrate it to some outside source like a radar gun or a GPS (set up hi or low from the dip switches 5%,10% or more) and then you ride it for 3000miles it will be off again because you wore off 1/4" of rubber, so now the tire profile is smaller your going slower than indicated because you calibrated it with a tire that was 1/4" thicker in diameter.  So you put on new tires again and the dynamics change yet again.  There is alot of uncertainty in the whole idea!

nah I can deal with the little bit of inaccuracy! But still show us the pictures of your install! I am interested in the whole thing!

Guest RedFlyer
But if the speedo is off and the odo isn't how would adding the yellow box make the odo off? ?

The last time I went to the Yellow Box web site I read that it changes both the speedo and the odo at the same time.  It doesn't separate them.  They're all part of one system.  They will still work to the same proportion relative to each other no matter how you adjust it.  So if there's 8% difference between them, and you adjust the speedo to read right on the odo will be 8% off.  I suppose that you could adjust it some where in the middle so the speedo read only 4% high and the odo 4% low.  I think that I'd rather just think I'm going 8% faster than I really am.  It's like moving the clock 10 minutes faster so you won't be late to work.

Guest stevesklar

Interesting problem with the speedo vs odometer. hmm .. guess I'd rather have my speedo correct. Here around Detroit i'm being passed by everyone when i'm doing 75 .. er .. 69mph.

I'll just have to remember to make my oil changes a little more frequent.

UFO -- that's a good  :idea:  "I ordered some Hitachi 3 pin connectors so I don't have to slice/dice the speedo sensor wire and have the option of removing the yeller box should I sell the bike. "

-- I think I'll try RadioShack.  Then I won't have to splice & dice it either and it will be more plug and play.

If the speedo was off only 2% i wouldn't be complaining .. but 8% is alot.

Guest AzizaVFR

To do some speedo verification this morning, I borrow my friend's Garmin Emap GPS.  At an indicated speed of 100mph, the GPS registered 92.3mph.  The 8% variance is just about accurate.

Tonight on my way home I will do a check of the odometer.

Most speedo on motorcycles are grossly optimistic.  My friend's 2000 R1 is about 12% higher than actually.

Enjoy,

Randal

Guest RedFlyer
Most speedo on motorcycles are grossly optimistic. ?My friend's 2000 R1 is about 12% higher than actually.

I had a KLR650 that I swear was 15% high.  I can live quite happily with the 8% on the VFR, but 15% was down right annoying.

Guest RedFlyer
Anyone try one of those bicycle computer / speedo things?

I don't think they're very expensive.

I think it would be a little difficult to glue the little magnet to the side of the wheel and the recepter to the inside of the fork tube so they would be close enough to actually work.  Then you have to deal with that wire that winds up the tube to the little piece of velcro where you stick your little veloco-computer gizmo.  If you actually manage to get all of that on and working, you might also want to consider a little basket in front of the windshield and maybe one of those little thumb actuated bell thingys on the handlebar.

• Forum CEO

ROTFLMAO........... put some playing cards on the spokes, bannana seat.  heh

Put the sensor on the rear swingarm and the magnet on the inside of the rear wheel out of sight. There is a how to with a picture of how somebody mounted his on the front disk brake.

Guest AzizaVFR

Okay, an update on the odometer error on my 2000 VFR800:

Tires:  Bridgestone BT012, 3000 miles of wear.  about 1/3 tread left.

GPS used:  Garmin Emap

Indicated milage:  26.9 miles

Actual Mileage:  26.6 miles

Error:  1%

Enjoy,

Randal

Guest stevesklar

so Aziza .. what was off .. the odo or GPS ??

anyways, too cold outside this past weekend to take the fairing off .. maybe next weekend for pics.

Okay, so I'm installing the yellow box V3 and everything works except the speedo.  the instructions say that some bikes have a 5V speedo output (which the 02 VFR does) and that you have to put the box into PULL-UP=ON mode...but I can't find anywhere in the instuction sheets how to do this.

If anyone knows what I;m talking about and can help I will  :bow: you.

:goof:

Hmmm.... I think I'll just stick to my stock speedo and odo especially since the odometer is fairly accurate and I have gotten used to adding around 8% to my speedo. ?It's easy and cheap for me. ?More $$ for ?:laugh: ?Mmm.... I said beer.

Anyone try one of those bicycle computer / speedo things?

I don't think they're very expensive.

I just installed a Sigma BC800 bicycle computer ($20) the other day. ?I got the wire made for a rear wheel install ($7) since it's almost twice as long as the one supplied with the computer. ?I bought some "rare earth" magnets from Radio Shack and placed a magnet on the brake disk. ?I zip tied the sensor onto the backside of the fork (between the fork and brake caliper). ?I installed the computer using the supplied rubber band onto the banjo bolt going into the clutch reservoir.

It only took about 1 hr to figure out where to put it and to measure the wheel circumference. ?It works like a champ. ?Nothing is permanent and it's inconspicuous. ?I took pictures and will post them someday.

Then you have to deal with that wire that winds up the tube to the little piece of velcro where you stick your little veloco-computer gizmo.  If you actually manage to get all of that on and working, you might also want to consider a little basket in front of the windshield and maybe one of those little thumb actuated bell thingys on the handlebar.

LMAO Carol. :laugh:

Thanks too to Cheez for the more serious answer. $27, that's not bad at all. Although I think I can live with the speedo error OK. :wheel:

Thanks too to Cheez for the more serious answer. $27, that's not bad at all. Although I think I can live with the speedo error OK. :laugh:

Nothin' but serious 'round here ?:twist: ?:P ?

The cool thing about the bike computer is having the max. speed, actual trip time, and average speed readings. ?Just another toy to play with ?:D

I figured out my problem...there was no problem.  V3 of the yellow box automatically detects both 12V and 5V pulses...contrary to the instructions which are admittedly out of date according to Blackrobotics. ???

Guest GoodGuy

Who says your GPS is calibrated correctly?

Yesterday I asked a cop to put me on the radar gun.

Indicated 50=49

Indicated 40=39

I think my speedo is good.

But, I get passed like I am standing still at 75MPH.

I never get passed at 90MPH.

And yes I had the cop put the gun on the tuning fork before and after we did the test.

I figured out my problem...there was no problem. ?V3 of the yellow box automatically detects both 12V and 5V pulses...contrary to the instructions which are admittedly out of date according to Blackrobotics. ???

Funny, I was just going to post to see if you had figured it out yet. ?Glad to hear you did ?:laugh: ?

I agree, for a zillion dollars you'd think the wiring would come with the necessary connectors, jacket, etc. ?But I suppose they'd need to charge a bazillion dollars if they added that stuff.

I live in Olympia - lets hook up for a ride, shoot the shat, modification knowledge exchange day, or something.

I live in Olympia - lets hook up for a ride, shoot the shat, modification knowledge exchange day, or something.

tbeemer from over at ST.N also lives in Olympia..actually he now works in the building next to me.  He has a VFR that his wife rides (he rides a 929) and we're going to do some riding this summer.  So keep an eye out at ST.N.