HONDA ST1300 THROTTLE CABLE length vs HONDA ST1100 THROTTLE CABLE length for 1999 5th Gen handlebar Mod

RossR

• Member Contributer

Has anybody ever measured the ST cables with regard to length and free play. I have seen mention of the ST1100 cable being suitable for the 5th Gen Superbike/Renthal handlebar mod, but I have also seen posts where people said that they had trouble fitting the ST1100 cable due to a lack of free play. Can anybody clarify this for me and advise which is the better cable to use. I am planning on changing my bars.

Ross

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, RossR said:

Has anybody ever measured the ST cables with regard to length and free play

I used ST1300 throttle cables when I installed an LSL Superbike handlebar kit on my '09 6th Gen. They are p/n# 17910-MCS-G00 + 17920-MCS-G00, and about 4’ / 100mm longer then my VTec's oe cables, and my guess is that it is very similar to your 5th Gen's. Other folk have opted to reroute the stock cables but I couldn't make the oe cables work.

gallery_6146_7165_673012.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks Lorne,

I was just looking at that beautiful Yellow RC46 in your Album. Now I have to dig into the piggy bank to paint my wheels white. The white really looks good against the yellow. Was that paint or powder coating?

I picked up a set of bars two days ago and when I sat on my bike today (after posting this thread) with the bars placed more or less where they would be after putting tubular mounts in, I started having doubts about a Renthal type bar. It felt odd to be more upright with bent knees, and I don't think that I want to lower my pegs. I am 6'1" with a pretty even distribution of torso and legs so maybe all that I need is a riser.

Ross

• Member Contributer

In case anyone wants cables made specifically for the 5th gen (or other models), Webike Japan carries them as they sell the high Police Hurricane bar kit for the 5th Gen. They sell a longer wax module ('choke') cable, and longer throttle cables and brake lines too.

https://japan.webike.net/products/2074342.html

https://japan.webike.net/products/2073560.html

or the whole kit

https://japan.webike.net/products/2076729.html

When one looks at these cops deftly maneuvering their bikes with buckhorn bars a change of bars looks attractive, but I am not sure how they would feel in the twisties.

• Member Contributer
45 minutes ago, RossR said:

The white really looks good against the yellow.

It certainly does. I had the wheels painted in a pearl white, it has a bit of sparkle in direct sun. I really miss my yellow '99.

The pics in this thread show the difference: stock bars vs. LSL kit on a 6th Gen VFR800.

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, Lorne said:

It certainly does. I had the wheels painted in a pearl white, it has a bit of sparkle in direct sun. I really miss my yellow '99.

The pics in this thread show the difference: stock bars vs. LSL kit on a 6th Gen VFR800.

Here is a "Yellow Pearl" that looks like it's in really good condition. Dealer maintained and the owner says that he is OCD about maintenance. No idea why it hasn't sold at that price. Unfortunately, as always it's on the other side of the country.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1617107410

That animation of the bars overlay in your thread is interesting.

• Member Contributer

OFF topic, but for anyone who is interested here is a closer look at the VFR800P

I used ST1300 cables recently when I swapped to a Superbike bar on my 6th gen. The 1300 has correct free play for FI setups while the 1100 parts are better suited for carb installs. The 1300 cables ended up being a tad long for my installation. I do plan to raise the bar up in the future, so that will take care of itself. 

• Member Contributer

Thanks Seb,

That helps and those cables should work for what I want to do.

Ross

p.s. Your 2005 VFR800 with a couple mods link does not work

• Member Contributer
On 6/10/2022 at 11:29 AM, SEBSPEED said:

I used ST1300 cables recently when I swapped to a Superbike bar on my 6th gen. The 1300 has correct free play for FI setups while the 1100 parts are better suited for carb installs. The 1300 cables ended up being a tad long for my installation. I do plan to raise the bar up in the future, so that will take care of itself. 

BTW, if you ever do a handlebar change and want to get a good price for the 6th Gen clipons people at cbrxx.com are always looking for them as an alternative to Helibars and they are difficult to find.

6 hours ago, RossR said:

BTW, if you ever do a handlebar change and want to get a good price for the 6th Gen clipons people at cbrxx.com are always looking for them as an alternative to Helibars and they are difficult to find.

Thanks, I do want to sell mine. 

The "couple mods" line isn't a link yet, unfortunately.

Archived