Strange popping sound ?

Gotama

So last week I replaced all my coolant lines on my 06 .

it was a straight forward job nothing went wrong .

in order to do this job you have to remove the throttle bodies .

after replacing all the coolant and starting the bike I heard a strand snap sound, but it went away , past couple days I’ve heard this snap sound a few more times upon start up .

rode the bike and everything feels and sounds normal .

but again on a cold start up I occasionally hear this snapping sound .

today it did it about 5 times and then went away.

it also sounded like the engine stumbled a little bit every time the snap or pop sound happened. But again it went away and bike rides just fine . 
Any ideas what it could be ?

• Member Contributer

Wonder if it's a CCT showing its age. Does the sound appear to come from either the front or rear cylinder head? Does it sound like chain slap or tapping?

Can you post a video of the sound?

Definitely don’t think it’s the ctt 

the sound is coming from under the tank ,  like the tops of the throttle bodies ,  and it only does it in the initial start up within 2 min and then stops 

sometimes it’s only one snap or pop sound 

this evening it was about 4 or 5 and then once I revved it a couple times it stopped 

bike has 24k miles 

it wasn’t doing this before I replaced coolant hoses sooooo idk 

• Member Contributer

Might be worth raising the tank and take the airfilter cover off and remove the filter. Start the bike from cold, it might give you a better chance at identifying it.

Well shit now the bike is gonna make a liar out of me .

just tried to take some video of it after it had been sitting for a bit 

couldn’t get it to recreate the condition 

• Member Contributer
58 minutes ago, Gotama said:

Well shit now the bike is gonna make a liar out of me .

just tried to take some video of it after it had been sitting for a bit 

couldn’t get it to recreate the condition 

Murphy's Law!

Have a good look around where you've worked. Check there's nothing loose, everthing connected etc.

1 hour ago, Grum said:

Murphy's Law!

Have a good look around where you've worked. Check there's nothing loose, everthing connected etc.

Uggg and Murphy’s law strikes again 

started it up to head home from work this morning and after it warmed up to about 165 degrees F heard it three times 

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, Gotama said:

Uggg and Murphy’s law strikes again 

started it up to head home from work this morning and after it warmed up to about 165 degrees F heard it three times 

Just for the hell of it, another thing you could try is removing the electrical connector of the Pair Solenoid Valve, at the rear of the airbox, run your bike see if that stops the noise.

The other one to try is to unplug the electircal connector from the Variable Air Intake(airbox flapper valve)solenoid mounted on the right side of the airbox.

Both of these solenoids have been known to cause strange noises and disconnecting their electrical plugs for a bit of testing won't effect the bike's performance or flag an Fi Fault code.

Good luck.

31 minutes ago, Grum said:

Just for the hell of it, another thing you could try is removing the electrical connector of the Pair Solenoid Valve, at the rear of the airbox, run your bike see if that stops the noise.

The other one to try is to unplug the electircal connector from the Variable Air Intake(airbox flapper valve)solenoid mounted on the right side of the airbox.

Both of these solenoids have been known to cause strange noises and disconnecting their electrical plugs for a bit of testing won't effect the bike's performance or flag an Fi Fault code.

Good luck.

Pair has been removed for some time now , block off plates installed flapper mod and snorkel has been done too 

Finally was able to record it 

• Member Contributer

You may want to post on a service like YouTube instead of using a 60+MB file...

53 minutes ago, bmart said:

You may want to post on a service like YouTube instead of using a 60+MB file...

That was super helpful thank you for pointing out computer stuff 

• Member Contributer

Ok so what is that red led in your video? What aftermarket things have you fitted?

Almost sounds like a Relay click and certainly appears to effect the engine. Can't think of any OEM component that would make that sound and have an instant hiccup effect on the engine!

Just had another thought:idea3:. A long shot but needs checking.

It might be possible that it's the Starter Relay being falsely triggered by an intermittent short between the Red wire coming off Main Fuse A and Yellow/Red wire(relay coil positive wire).This has happened to one of our members, the Red wire can get hot enought to melt the insulation of both wires and create a short energizing the Starter Relay.

Try and reproduce the sound with your ear as close as possible to the Starter Relay. If that clicks then check the wiring of the Red plug to the relay, unwrap the black tape and check for any signs of melted wires a good 4 inches or so back from the plug.

31 minutes ago, Grum said:

Ok so what is that red led in your video? What aftermarket things have you fitted?

Almost sounds like a Relay click and certainly appears to effect the engine. Can't think of any OEM component that would make that sound and have an instant hiccup effect on the engine!

Just had anothet thought:idea3:. A long shot but needs checking.

It might be possible that it's the Starter Relay being falsely triggered by an intermittent short between the Red wire coming off Main Fuse A and Yellow/Red wire(relay coil positive wire).This has happened to one of our members, the Red wire can get hot enought to melt the insulation of both wires and create a short energizing the Starter Relay.

Try and reproduce the sound with your ear as close possible to the Starter Relay. If that clicks then check the wiring of the Red plug to the relay, unwrap the black tape and check for any signs of melted wires a good 4 inches or so back from the plug.

Um that’s the speedo healer last top speed recall button 

and that’s just it 

even with the mods I’ve done it wasn’t doing this until I replaced the coolant hoses with samco hoses , and you have to remove the TB to get to all those hoses .

made sure everything was back together like normal .

• Member Contributer

Ok, well, as mentioned regards the Starter Relay. Check out this link. Like I said it's a long shot but needs checking.

Here's a test you could try. With the bike on center stand start the engine, Sidestand up, place it in gear, let the clutch out, let the rear wheel spin. Now, if you still get the snap sound in this condition then it can't be the Starter Relay as the ground side for the relay coil in this condition is open circuit (without pulling in the clutch lever), so even with the Red wire to Yellow/red wire intermittent short, it can't energize the Starter Relay.

Have you ever heard the noise while riding or is it only when stationary while engine warms up?

Something sure ain't right with the strange noise, can't see how changing coolant hoses could cause this, it might be just coincidence and not related.

• Member Contributer

Hey Gotma.

After another close look at your video, you appear to be looking through the left side fork towards the apex of the frame, that places you close to the left side of the Front Cowl where the Engine Stop Relay is and the Headlight Relays more to the middle of the front cowl.

ARE YOU SURE you are hearing the sound from under the tank OR is it coming from the front cowl area just forward from the Instrument Panel or near the left side of the front cowl area?

Do you notice the slightest blink of your headlights when the sound happens?

Think you could forget the chances of an intermittent trigger of the Starter Relay given the location of where you filmed the video from.

On 6/7/2022 at 9:58 PM, Grum said:

Hey Gotma.

After another close look at your video, you appear to be looking through the left side fork towards the apex of the frame, that places you close to the left side of the Front Cowl where the Engine Stop Relay is and the Headlight Relays more to the middle of the front cowl.

ARE YOU SURE you are hearing the sound from under the tank OR is it coming from the front cowl area just forward from the Instrument Panel or near the left side of the front cowl area?

Do you notice the slightest blink of your headlights when the sound happens?

Think you could forget the chances of an intermittent trigger of the Starter Relay given the location of where you filmed the video from.

Well I took it all apart …. Again 

looked around , started the bike with the air box off , couldn’t find anything 

I did notice the boots for the TB to the heads were slightly misaligned and I had a couple V stacks turned the wrong way but in the right location , freed up the idle speed adjuster because it was sticking and hard to turn , added some carbon fiber bling , and swapped for the new road 6 , slapped everything back together and did an oil change . So far it hasn’t recreated the sound 

67FD160F-6398-4A53-B52C-5BA5B2F6BE16.jpeg

588BA199-807F-4ED4-A082-B19CE18B074D.jpeg

3B483949-C05A-4AC1-81E6-6E0ECF7180D2.jpeg

17FF374A-8422-4BAB-80C6-2B526E5C6C63.jpeg

A917DD61-FFE3-490F-AD28-FE2ED0735836.jpeg

64B7D9CC-F323-4C25-AF99-3EBFFD7342C1.jpeg

Archived