New windscreen/windshield help

Mat

Question

Hi all, brand new to the site

I’ve just inherited my father in laws 1999 vfr 800-lovely machine. There’s a few things I need to do to her to get her back in prime shape, firstly I was hoping for some advice on replacement touring windscreen/windshields, as the one on it has seen better days

thanks in advance 

Mat

5 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

Advice on the mechanics of a swap, sourcing, or choosing one that is good for you? 

Thanks for the response bmart, the choosing of one I’d say. The mechanics of it seem fairly straight forward, I’ve changed a few on other bikes before. I’m thinking more the wind protection side of things(it’s more of an aggressive riding position than I’m used to)and whether it’s worth getting a higher windshield style than the original. Any advice is very much appreciated as like I say I’m still very new to this style of bike. So far, I’ve found It no problem on the wrists, but can definitely feel it on the shoulders-but maybe that’s cos I’m still getting used to that more tucked in riding position. Hey ho it’s still all good fun and I’m loving the journey 

• Member Contributer

I just took off my double bubble to go back to stock which for me, is much better! Wind over my shoulders instead of into me helmet. It was a total PITA to mount as none of the holes align without some serious plastic muscling. It was the same on my other VFR. 

• Member Contributer

Ive been through multiple big screens on my other upright bike. It took years of helmet buffeting / pounding before I found that some deflectors sorted it out. What’s that got to do with the Viffer?

Well. Ive recently come back to riding mine after a few years gap. I’ve found the smooth non-turbulent air bliss. Yes, you feel it a lot more, but it’s not noisy. I guess if you’re going to do longer tours you might want to experiment, but otherwise I’d suggest sticking with it fir a while before swapping screens.

If you’re finding the different riding position difficult,  then changing to a different screen might make that worse (as the air pressure is taking some of your weight at the moment) . And if you end up changing bars, you’ll want to do that before plumping for a screen so that you’ve settled your riding position.

Sounds like you want to change the screen because it’s not in great nick, but having tried and then sold a double bubble, Id be tempted to perhaps ride with it as is for a while before deciding how to splash the cash.  Apologies if any of this comes across as advice on sucking eggs.

Of course, you’ll get different opinions….   Enjoy the bike!

Thanks for the help/advice all very much appreciated. I’ll take it onboard and just ride with it for now and see how I get on-and yes stuartb3502 it was more a cosmetic thing, maybe I’ll just try looking for a replacement of the original screen rather than a mod

thanks again

Mat

Archived