5th gen throttle tube removal

• Member Contributer

Hi All,

Looking for assistance on at 5th gen throttle tube removal. The factory service manual is not at all helpful, all it states “is slide tube off the handlebar”. But that won’t work because there is a pin in the control housing which engages a hole, see picture, and there isn’t enough slack in the cables to disengage them. I did this once many years ago, and I’m pretty sure that I disconnected the throttle cable from the throttle body, then disengaging the cables from the tube is easy. However, this requires removal of the airbox, which is tedious. Wondering if anyone knows of any shortcuts. Thanks in advance.

2022-05-31_18-31-54.jpg

• Member Contributer

Can't you remove some tension with the throttle adjustment right under that assembly? I've never had to take off the other end to get a tube off on any bike. 

• Member Contributer

I didn't see any way without removing the cables from the TB's.... there is one screw that is very fiddly to get back in the bracket, it's right between the two adjusters.  I did it without taking the airbox off if memory serves......

• Member Contributer

I will chalk this up to a “what was I thinking” moment. I found that the connection to the throttle body is on the left, not underneath the airbox, and is easily accessible once the tank is lifted. For some reason I was convinced it was underneath the airbox. Problem solved.

Archived