6th gen brake pad clearance

Obsidia

Hello,

I installed EBC Double-H brake pads on my VFR800 (2003) and my front wheel barely turns now - I left both of the heat plates on the pads (if that is what they are) should I remove them?

• Member Contributer

Is there some room for air in the master? The pads need to be able to back off once the lever is released. 

Are you sure that the brakes didn't feel like that before the pad swap (dished rotor?)

This is why I went with Honda pads.  I think the pads are too thick. Contact EBC to remove heat plates and see if wheel moves. I tried EBC and Braking always had some issues. I warped several rotors.  Eventually i was fed up and went with 4 piston calipers with full floating rotors.

• Member Contributer

If the master was full, the pistons going to "full in" can create pressure in the system, pushing the pads into the rotors. Was the master cap/lid off when you pushed the pistons in and did you remove fluid to set at the proper level for the new pads? 

If you're not flushing the system at the same time, here is what I would do. 

1. Loosen caliper mounting bolts.
  2. Set handlebars so master is level(ish).
  3. Wrap towel/sock around master and remove top/cap.
  4. Suck out some fluid with a rag or syringe and cover master so you don't get any fluid on anything when you push the pistons in.
  5. Remove one caliper.
  6. Remove pads.
  7. Scrub pistons with SimpleGreen or similar and a toothbrush, then rinse. 
  8. Push pistons in while monitoring fluid level.
  9. Install new pads and reattach caliper to forks, finger tightening caliper bolts.
  10. Perform the same (5-9) on the other side while monitoring the fluid level.
  11. Tighten caliper bolts to spec.
  12. Squeeze lever for normal feel.
  13. Either fill to high mark or suck out crappy old fluid from the master and add new fluid to the high mark. 
  14. Clean up any brake fluid.
  15. Test!

It is completely worth it to flush the system properly so that you get the full benefit of the new mating surfaces. Most crappy brake feel is from dirty pistons and old fluid, not the pads/rotors. 

Let us know how it goes!

(Not a fan of EBC braking products...)

• Member Contributer

Another OEM pad user here as well.  While I haven't tried aftermarket pads on the bikes, my guess is that the perception of "more bite" or "feel" from aftermarket pads is similar to the  "butt dyno" perception of installing a K&N filter and having more power output.  OEM pads were produced to Honda's spec and QC standards as well as engineered to match the rotor material.  Those rotors are extremely expensive to replace and OEM pads give satisfactory braking performance while remaining kind to the rotors and not chewing them up. 

The "heat pad" is more likely there to absorb high frequency vibrations that causes the irritating squealing or screeching from the pads during braking.  I don't recall the OEM pads having that feature and they have never made any noise on my bikes. 

If you go through the above procedure and continue having the same issue, swapping back to OEM pads should solve your problem.  Alternatively, you could place a piece of coarse sandpaper, 80 to 100 grit should do it, on a flat surface and sand the pads on it a bit to remove excess material.  Be sure to vary the direction of sanding to prevent cutting grooves in the material and to keep the face of the pad square with the backing plate.   YMMV with that approach. 

• Member Contributer
11 minutes ago, Cogswell said:

Another OEM pad user here as well.  While I haven't tried aftermarket pads on the bikes, my guess is that the perception of "more bite" or "feel" from aftermarket pads is similar to the  "butt dyno" perception of installing a K&N filter and having more power output.  OEM pads were produced to Honda's spec and QC standards as well as engineered to match the rotor material.  Those rotors are extremely expensive to replace and OEM pads give satisfactory braking performance while remaining kind to the rotors and not chewing them up. 

The "heat pad" is more likely there to absorb high frequency vibrations that causes the irritating squealing or screeching from the pads during braking.  I don't recall the OEM pads having that feature and they have never made any noise on my bikes. 

If you go through the above procedure and continue having the same issue, swapping back to OEM pads should solve your problem.  Alternatively, you could place a piece of coarse sandpaper, 80 to 100 grit should do it, on a flat surface and sand the pads on it a bit to remove excess material.  Be sure to vary the direction of sanding to prevent cutting grooves in the material and to keep the face of the pad square with the backing plate.   YMMV with that approach. 

Nothing to add, completely agree. Yeah, the famous butt dyno!

I am in the process to change out relatively new EBC, I guess, pads for OEM. In my opinion, the OEM have better feel when increasing lever force. BTW, I had the experience of too thick pads on my mountain bike brakes few times using aftermarket pads (involved a lot of swearing!)

As Bmart said, it is a good idea to flush the brake fluid at the  same time when replacing the pads.

Back in the day, brake fluid and fork oil change was a mandatory task every spring. Now, since I am "too busy?!" Every 2 years.

These are my 2 cents.

Finally someone agree with me lol.  EBC HH pads chew up rotors.  OEM is the best for everyday.  I do some track days and the OEM pads are fine.  OEM pads no noise fast break in etc.  I am a yearly flusher lol  but only when it comes to non linked brakes otherwise have fun.

• Member Contributer

A full brake service includes :

1)new pads

2)caliper piston cleaning and lube

3)removing old disc groves

4)new fluid

5)bleed

To erase unwanted grooves in either stainless steal or cast iron
rotors first remove the buttons... then chuck and spin in a Lathe... work a 180
grit sanding disc against the surface evenly until the groves are gone...

RC45HRCBrembo4Pot01.JPG

RC45DiscSanding.JPG

• Member Contributer

Honda OEM pads are pretty excellent. I use Vesrah RJL on the track bikes. They're really a street pad but give great feedback and wear well...and clean. 

Archived