What is 5th gen peak torque and horsepower?

• Member Contributer

Hi All,

I’ve seen torque and horsepower curves for the 5th gen which show peak torque as 79 Nm and peak horsepower as 105. Can someone confirm this? Is this at the crank or the rear wheel?

• Member Contributer

imageproxy-2.jpg

Rear wheel.  add ~12% for crank

• Member Contributer

Thank you Dutchy.  Great chart (I assume it is from Motorrad Zeitung in Germany?)

• Member Contributer

Here are the published numbers from Motorcyclists' MOTY review of those bikes when new.  Boy do I miss the MC mags . . .   97hp  at 10,500 and 54.9 ft-lbs at 8,500.  Maybe more important to me than peak numbers is the flat torque curve - what makes these bikes such a delight to ride.  The article is in the downloads section and can be accessed from the link below. 

Motorcyclist MOTY review

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/files/file/138-motor-cyclist-5th-gen-review-moty-sept-98/&do=download&csrfKey=917625ef3f805764d39220cfe0fdb5f9

Cycle World review from 1998

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/files/file/120-cycle-world-5th-gen-review-may-1998/&do=download&csrfKey=917625ef3f805764d39220cfe0fdb5f9

image.png.52eed8851e1ecc8f97692e26718a7743.png

• Member Contributer

Looking at those curves,  it visually mirrors how I instinctively ride it - 4,000 to about 9,000 is my operating range.  Beyond 9,000 there is very little additional power to be had and torque is beginning to fall off,  so time for the next gear up!   I don't recall ever hitting the rev limiter.   

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Theres much more past 9k if you open up its breathing. Intake and exhaust are both restrictive beyond 9K/rpm. 

A good exhaust & K&N+ deflap & PowerCommander is good for circa 112hp, thats plus 15hp 👍 Will make power all the way to 10,500rpm then. Needs more work to push the peak to max RPM. 

Archived