Question on buying/selling a VFR

Jimslade

If you are buying a used bike, would you prefer that it had been checked out and tuned up by a shop by the seller?

Or would you prefer to buy the bike as-is (running, good shape, but stored for years), and take it to a shop yourself and control any readout and tuning?

• Member Contributer

Buying:  100% as-is.  Helps negotiation and not "paying" for bullshit that didn't need to be done.  But I know bikes and do all of my own work.

Selling:  Gone thru to a certain level so the condition isn't ambiguous, but not spending money on things that won't affect it's selling potential or price substantially. 

See: Buying above.

• Member Contributer

Personally, I'd prefer a well loved bike from a meticulous owner regardless of mileage or receipts vs one that's been dealer serviced with a whole notebook of invoices.  A well cared for machine will show that to you and conversation with the owner will confirm it's true.   There are plenty of members on here that fit that bill very well.  Unfortunately, most owners like that rarely part with them. 

• Member Contributer
48 minutes ago, Cogswell said:

Personally, I'd prefer a well loved bike from a meticulous owner regardless of mileage or receipts vs one that's been dealer serviced with a whole notebook of invoices.  A well cared for machine will show that to you and conversation with the owner will confirm it's true.   There are plenty of members on here that fit that bill very well.  Unfortunately, most owners like that rarely part with them. 

I resemble that remark...😁

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Cogswell said:

...and this is exactly how and why I bought my '97 VFR with 30k miles "pre loved!"

• Member Contributer

It matters little. You're going to find all kinds of things wrong wtih it eityher way, and the seller or dealer won't do anything to help with any of them. Be thorough in looking it over and offer low. 

Archived