VFR Replacement

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Sweeper said:

I just came back from my first ten days in the mountains with my Tiger660. It's roughly a hundred pounds lighter than the VFR and the ergonomics are much easier on my 63 year old body. I swapped with a few people over the course of the trip (Tracer900, FZ900, KLRsm)and can say that I'm still happy with my choice. All day comfort. Plenty of power. Doesn't care what gear you are in. The sound is....adequate. Still prefer the V4 for sure. I rode a 5th gen up 215 and was thinking what a great bike for this type of riding. Then we hit the peak and started down and I thought holy cow what load to haul down the mountain. Getting old sucks but I'm adapting. I tried really hard to find a Honda to love in the VFR's place but failed.

Imagine an 8th Gen VFR with the same, confidence-inspiring (and much more comfortable) seating position! Yes, it would still be quite heavy, but a V4 with the ergos for us more senior gentlemen is a brilliant combination. 

It's criminal they didn't import the Crossrunner to North America. 

7 hours ago, Skids said:

Imagine an 8th Gen VFR with the same, confidence-inspiring (and much more comfortable) seating position! Yes, it would still be quite heavy, but a V4 with the ergos for us more senior gentlemen is a brilliant combination. 

I would not have been interested at the time but now would have given it a look. The weight is a big deal to me now. I started riding the CB500x that I got for my daughter and loved it. It was just so much easier for me and ended up making me a much faster rider. If Honda could just drop some weight like they've done in some of the smaller bikes, that V4 would be a contender in my book. 

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, Skids said:

Yep. Because the 1200X is a pig, with cheap looking detailing. 

• Member Contributer
45 minutes ago, Sweeper said:

I started riding the CB500x that I got for my daughter and loved it.

Smaller/lighter bikes are a hoot and so much easier. I laugh at the old guy who go bigger and heavier...

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, St. Stephen said:

Couldn't agree more ducnut. Zack (and Ari Henning) are the real deal. They have rich motorcycling backgrounds, both professionally and family, and present useful information in a straightforward and entertaining way. Spencer, their videographer, is also very good. And if you're just looking for motorcycle entertainment the Alaska and Dumb & Dumber segments are highly recommended.

Yep. I look forward to watching their adventures. I’m so glad Revzilla picked up all three of them and are allowing them to do their creative thing. 

12 hours ago, bmart said:

Smaller/lighter bikes are a hoot and so much easier. I laugh at the old guy who go bigger and heavier...

i agree, and i've only been riding my vtr 250's this summer. they feel as light as bicycles !

1664314322_8-21-21newcamera020.thumb.JPG.b61cb9bdb2f1c61b217605156b549668.JPG

gallery_3647_3505_26226.jpg.3d396a34414404e00d044fc62bc36f34.jpg

• Member Contributer

I don't know what you weigh, but for mine, I changed only the front springs and could absoltely rail on my 1990 VTR250. One of the most fun bikes I've owned. And...I used it to teach a few friends about corner speed and momentum. 

I bought a BMW R nineT Pure (basically the base model) to replace my VFR a couple years ago.  I really dig the boxer twin.  It reminds me of my 6th gen's V4 a little, but with more torque and engine braking.  Much lower redline though.  Of course, my air/oil-cooled boxer is old compared to the liquid-cooled 1250 mill in the new R bikes, but I love mine for its character.

You should test ride a boxer just to see how you'd like it.  It's not for everyone, and yes, BMWs are expensive.  Mine wasn't super spendy, but did cost more than if I'd found a leftover new 8th gen. to buy a couple years ago, even a Deluxe.  One nice thing about the boxers though is they're pretty easy to wrench on for the DIY mechanic.

• Member Contributer
On 6/5/2022 at 7:19 AM, ducnut said:

Yep. Because the 1200X is a pig, with cheap looking detailing. 

I owned one for a couple of years.  The engine is the selling point.  Honda did a great job - gobs of torque and a relaxed attitude that makes you want to never get off the bike.  The bike looks weird from a hundred angles and pretty good from two or three.  

I sold it because the top heaviness of it ruined the zen nature of that great engine.  

By the way, the DCT version of that bike is NOT better than the DCT version of the 1200F model.  I had both models at the same time, rode them back to back and often thought the F model shifted smoother and the manual shift mode and sport modes were more accurate. 

On 6/4/2022 at 7:13 AM, ducnut said:

Zack has ridden the Suzuki GT on his Daily Ride program. 

Felt bad for the bike being ridden in the dirt and jumped but I guess if it’s not your bike what the heck.    Amazing tech on that bike……would love to take a test ride on one just for the quick shifter alone.    Would be fun to rip through the gears and let it howl.   

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, LEGEND said:

Felt bad for the bike being ridden in the dirt and jumped but I guess if it’s not your bike what the heck.   

He rides the same route on every bike, so everything gets jumped. What’s interesting is some bikes bottom out very harshly, which would indicate a bike whose reaction to big bumps, potholes, etc, are going to be harsh. I view him doing that portion of the ride as a good thing. Then, there are these guys (JR at Cadwell Park):

72DB0104-687A-45C6-84CF-509334768824.jpeg

• Member Contributer
On 6/10/2022 at 1:10 AM, ducnut said:

He rides the same route on every bike, so everything gets jumped. What’s interesting is some bikes bottom out very harshly, which would indicate a bike whose reaction to big bumps, potholes, etc, are going to be harsh. I view him doing that portion of the ride as a good thing. Then, there are these guys (JR at Cadwell Park):

72DB0104-687A-45C6-84CF-509334768824.jpeg

He’ll be fine it’s a Honda 😂

I live a few miles from the port and have cruised all of those roads he tests bikes on.    As far as catching air hell I can do that on road on my vfr.   Speaks to the state of the roads out here and a heavy bike with a big rider on 15 year old stock suspension lol.   Shockingly I’ve never bottomed out the vfr and it’s to pretty to take to the off-road Zack short cut.     

• Member Contributer

I've never seen his videos before, but I did grow up in that area so I was curious to see the full route.  Wondering why he didn't at least go up Crest Road; it's nothing special, but if you go all that way to RPV...  I always found riding in LA to be rather soul-destroying.  So much traffic, so few places to have fun.  (A bit like London, lol...)

Ciao,

JZH

• 1 month later...

I haven't been on herein a while. Sold my 98 VFR going on 5 years ago. I had it for most of it's life and put on about 80,000 miles. Wanted something lighter and more powerful.

So, I picked up this Ducati Monster 1200, near new. More than enough power, wow. Less weight and better handling. Great bike. Great maintenance bills and some thing you have to go to the dealer for. Put about 25,000 miles on it.

Got tired of throwing money at it. Planning to move and the nearest dealer would be about 150 miles away. Thinking I don't need this insane level of power, don't really use it. All this lead to a decision to sell it, and I ended up trading it for a new 2022 Suzuki SV650. Even less weight, shorter wheelbase, handles even better. At least at lowish speeds during break in. But I have not quite 200 miles on it so far. Will add to that tomorrow. Keeping it to 5000 or so RPMs means a lot of short shifting. Can't really comment on the power yet. But I do like it so far.

Ride safe whatever you ride. 👍

100_7863.JPG

• Member Contributer

Congrats. The size of that factory can is...impressive. 

• Member Contributer

VFR4Lee?

VFR4Lee

Who is this guy? 

:laugh:

Nah, congrats on the SV!!!

Rode one twice I think; it is a great bike. 

17 hours ago, bmart said:

Congrats. The size of that factory can is...impressive. 

No doubt, but I'm not going to spend $500 - $600 or more on a new one any time too soon.

6 hours ago, ducnut said:

1st Gen ‘02, here. 

Still looking good. 👍

On 7/17/2022 at 1:39 AM, Dutchy said:

VFR4Lee?

VFR4Lee

Who is this guy? 

:laugh:

Nah, congrats on the SV!!!

Rode one twice I think; it is a great bike. 

Some old fart that has been on here for a long time. But not so much lately.

It's amazing that Miguel has kept running this site and has not sold out to Verticalscope or anyone.

Go Miguel! 👍

Monterey Laguna Seca 2002.

2002 VFRD Dinner.jpg

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, VFR4Lee said:

You all know which one is HispanicSlammer, right? 😁

Would I be correct in saying he's the good looking, mature aged gent on the left?:rolleyes:

Archived