VFR Replacement

• Member Contributer

Just had a look at a new  BMW R1250 RS, I couldn’t take it for a demo as it was sold but just having a sit on it for a few minutes had me thinking. The seating position is slightly more upright than the VFR and the footpegs definitely felt lower. It was the sports model, full electronics and Akropovic exhaust. Also had full luggage kit on it. I have never ridden a boxer engine but have read some very good reports about the new shift cam engine, it’s smoothness and torque (145Nm I think, and 135hp)

Of course there is still the Elephant (Blue Whale maybe) in the room $35,000😳🤯

However if money was no object I think I would find room in my garage for one of these.

This is a very good video to demonstrate the sportiness of the RS.

BMW R 1250 RS sound [RAW Onboard]

• Member Contributer

You to take the BMW oath when you go to the dealership “ Open your wallet and say …Help yourself”

• Member Contributer

Boxers have factory installed frame sliders.  Most of us call them valve covers, but they get the job done.  😉

• Member Contributer
On 5/18/2022 at 8:37 AM, tbzep said:

Boxers have factory installed frame sliders.  Most of us call them valve covers, but they get the job done.  😉

Thread highjack warning:

Speaking of frame sliders, I've found Givi 41 liter hard bags to be decent frame sliders. (blush)

• Member Contributer

With the V4 the sound with the right exhaust is intoxicating . . . I'm not knocking it, but the boxer for me would be an acquired taste.  I'd probably take to it, but it wouldn't be love at first sight as with the V4. 

• Member Contributer
25 minutes ago, Cogswell said:

With the V4 the sound with the right exhaust is intoxicating . . . I'm not knocking it, but the boxer for me would be an acquired taste.  I'd probably take to it, but it wouldn't be love at first sight as with the V4. 

V4 sound plus a modern chassis and electronics = Yamaha MT-10.

If Yamaha could reduce the fuel use and take the crayons/drugs off their designers, it would be an easy switch. Fun machine to ride, comfy ride position, but the 17L tank is limiting.

IMG_2011.jpg

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Terry said:

V4 sound plus a modern chassis and electronics = Yamaha MT-10.

If Yamaha could reduce the fuel use and take the crayons/drugs off their designers, it would be an easy switch. Fun machine to ride, comfy ride position, but the 17L tank is limiting.

IMG_2011.jpg

I’m going to keep dreaming of a Tracer GT-10. 

• Member Contributer
33 minutes ago, ducnut said:

I’m going to keep dreaming of a Tracer GT-10. 

I quite like the look of the new Suzuki GSXS1000GT, but I'm not sure I'd like a conventional in-line 4 engine.  Strangely enough after 40 years of riding I've only owned 3; CBX400F, CBX750F and RF900R. .

Every time I fire up the MT I get a little thrill! And yes, that is my actual numberplate.

https://youtu.be/UIsRrkrzHGo

• Member Contributer
10 minutes ago, Terry said:

And yes, that is my actual numberplate.

This is one cool number plate!

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, Wald said:

This is one cool number plate!

+1

While I'm not inclined to pay extra for a "vanity plate" I've fantasized about what I'd choose (custom mc plates are limited to five characters): 800V4 is all I could come up with.

But V4 is perfect!

Great idea Terry

• Member Contributer
On 5/18/2022 at 9:37 AM, tbzep said:

The official term is jugs, no? 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, MaxSwell said:

While I'm not inclined to pay extra for a "vanity plate" I've fantasized about what I'd choose (custom mc plates are limited to five characters): 800V4 is all I could come up with.

I hate paying, but I love the plates...and own a few of them. 

• Member Contributer
On 5/21/2022 at 8:23 AM, MaxSwell said:

+1

But V4 is perfect!

Great idea Terry

Personalised plates were released in NZ in around 1987 or so, that's when I bought the plate for my VFR700. I thought I'd buy V4FUN but the nice person at the call centre said "V4" is available. All for $300 plus 12.5% tax. The Personalised Plates business was originally government-owned and operated a tiered pricing based on the latest auction price of "1". At one point the listed value of V4 was $38,500! Plates now change hands on the open market and the prices are much lower but still a lot more than I paid...The plate has graced quite a few bikes over the years.

rf900rs11.jpg

vfr400r2.jpg

vfr750f11.jpg

IMG_0956.JPG

IMG_0108.JPG

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, 3rdgenred said:

NCGNTO

My favourite was on a decrepit looking scooter....ITGOS

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I have other friends who post his videos. I don't know how anyone can stand like listening like to like him like talk like like like like. 

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, bmart said:

I have other friends who post his videos. I don't know how anyone can stand like listening like to like him like talk like like like like. 

Dang it, man! Harsh. 😁

Doing quality videos, while trying to remember all the relevant info, is harder than it would seem, which is why so many vlogs suck. But, Zack is a legit motorcyclist who’s been around bikes his entire life. I think, he’s amongst the most trustworthy people you’ll find in the industry. 

• Member Contributer

I believe it. I just can't listen to him talk. For me, there are just too many other options. I'd rather enjoy Itchy Boots. 

Some time ago, talking like a mix of a valley girl, James T. Kirk and Caitlin Upton became fashionable. 

I just came back from my first ten days in the mountains with my Tiger660. It's roughly a hundred pounds lighter than the VFR and the ergonomics are much easier on my 63 year old body. I swapped with a few people over the course of the trip (Tracer900, FZ900, KLRsm)and can say that I'm still happy with my choice. All day comfort. Plenty of power. Doesn't care what gear you are in. The sound is....adequate. Still prefer the V4 for sure. I rode a 5th gen up 215 and was thinking what a great bike for this type of riding. Then we hit the peak and started down and I thought holy cow what load to haul down the mountain. Getting old sucks but I'm adapting. I tried really hard to find a Honda to love in the VFR's place but failed.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Sweeper said:

I just came back from my first ten days in the mountains with my Tiger660. It's roughly a hundred pounds lighter than the VFR and the ergonomics are much easier on my 63 year old body. I swapped with a few people over the course of the trip (Tracer900, FZ900, KLRsm)and can say that I'm still happy with my choice. All day comfort. Plenty of power. Doesn't care what gear you are in. The sound is....adequate. Still prefer the V4 for sure. I rode a 5th gen up 215 and was thinking what a great bike for this type of riding. Then we hit the peak and started down and I thought holy cow what load to haul down the mountain. Getting old sucks but I'm adapting. I tried really hard to find a Honda to love in the VFR's place but failed.

Riding many of the same roads, on all three of my bikes, had me preferring my Tiger 800. That thing is so confidence-inspiring, with its seating position, wheels sizes, and suspension. Those rides have reinforced the idea of me selling my SV. 

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, ducnut said:

Dang it, man! Harsh. 😁

Doing quality videos, while trying to remember all the relevant info, is harder than it would seem, which is why so many vlogs suck. But, Zack is a legit motorcyclist who’s been around bikes his entire life. I think, he’s amongst the most trustworthy people you’ll find in the industry. 

Couldn't agree more ducnut. Zack (and Ari Henning) are the real deal. They have rich motorcycling backgrounds, both professionally and family, and present useful information in a straightforward and entertaining way. Spencer, their videographer, is also very good. And if you're just looking for motorcycle entertainment the Alaska and Dumb & Dumber segments are highly recommended.

Archived