Music anyone?

Kbear

How many of you guys listen to music while riding? Through headphones I mean. I do and have a hard time riding without music. I recently purchased a Motikom MPlus Limited Edition system and I'm very impressed with the sound quality. I haven't had a chance to use the communications system since I don't have anyone to share it with. If you're like me and have to have music while riding, then this could be the system you need.

If you have multiple helmets you use this system makes it easy to switch helmets on the fly and still have the great system with you at all times.

Here's a review of the Motikom MPlus system from MotoBob.

Motikom's website.

• Member Contributer

Never. Way to distracting. I see riders who do this get distracted all of the time on the street and track. 

• Member Contributer
33 minutes ago, bmart said:

Never. Way to distracting. I see riders who do this get distracted all of the time on the street and track. 

I know what yr saying, but we are all different.

I always listen to music or a podcast, unless Mrs Skids is on the back, then I listen......:goofy:

For me, it occupies that part of my mind not concentrating on riding and stops it from wandering. If I didn't have it, I would find my focus distracted by a wandering mind. Plus all my professional training has involved listening and talking whilst operating in a complex environment so it's what I'm used to.

YMMV of course.

• Member Contributer

Of course, but you asked about if we do it, not if we condone it. 🙂 I don't. 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Kbear said:

How many of you guys listen to music while riding? Through headphones I mean. I do and have a hard time riding without music. I recently purchased a Motikom MPlus Limited Edition system and I'm very impressed with the sound quality. I haven't had a chance to use the communications system since I don't have anyone to share it with. If you're like me and have to have music while riding, then this could be the system you need.

If you have multiple helmets you use this system makes it easy to switch helmets on the fly and still have the great system with you at all times.

Motikom's website.

For me, I'm not sure about noise cancelling headphones as I'm concerned already that the ear plugs deny me too much aural information already.

I use a pair of Westone UM10's plugged into my Sena headcam. Works brilliantly.

• Member Contributer
1 minute ago, bmart said:

Of course, but you asked about if we do it, not if we condone it. 🙂 I don't. 

Pedant! :goofy::beer:

• Member Contributer

While I generally agree with bmart's comments, I have made an exception. Four years ago I was riding State Rt. 95 in Nevada--straight, hot, boring. For hours. Got to know every last feature of the electronic controls of the Duc that can be manipulated while moving. Discovered that the 2017 Multistrada will not travel at 64 mph, according to the speedo--63, yes, 65 yes, but never two to the 6th power. Anyway, you get the idea, boring as hell. As I was getting close to Vegas and the temp hit 107F, I decided that maybe music was worth trying. So...

I purchased a Scala Q-Solo, and some great Etymotic ear speakers. Can't communicate with other riders (which I have no interest in), takes phone calls (I've done this exactly once), but the sound is very good and it pairs easily with my phone. After three or four hours on 95 I was really ready for a long extended China/Rider!

I probably only use this setup three or four times/year, but it does help prevent insanity on those long stretches of slab. On Thursday I'm heading south on a one week trip, and I will definitely bring it.

• Member Contributer

I see your problem now...you're riding in the wrong places! lol 

• Member Contributer

I have a cheap and cheerful camera/bluetooth/speaker/microphone setup that I bought from Aliexpress, a Maxto M3. This has been in constant use on every ride for the past few years and has been faultless as a camera, phone and music system, paired with my iPhone. I wear custom moulded earplugs (for the wind noise) and have the volume set to max, and that all works out very nicely. Battery life is longer than I can ride in a day, and the stick-on mount has been great and easy to use on my GT-Air lid. 1080 video quality is OK too. 

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Bluetooth-M3-Communication-Entertainment/dp/B085G766T5

https://youtu.be/GfD1a2TYBwU

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, bmart said:

I see your problem now...you're riding in the wrong places! lol 

Well, yeah, you are technically correct, but sometimes, as on the 10 day trip I referenced, you just have to connect the dots and get from A to B. Kinda like Myrtle Beach to Blowing Rock.

If all I wanted was great twisty roads I would never get beyond a 50 mile radius of where I live. I guess my point is that music/sound/podcasts are a plus when on long motorcycle trips where the slab is inevitable sooner or later. 

• Member Contributer

No discourse. Interesting to hear opinions. 

I have one guy I stopped riding with because of it. Everytime you stopped an needed to ask about food, pics, peeing, etc. it was a project for him. Valuable riding time was being lost...

• Member Contributer

I've tried earbud type systems before but usually struggle to keep them in my ears as my helmet goes on. Is there anything special about the Motikom?

No, I never listen to music while riding, but I did try it with earbuds a couple times years ago.  I don't have anything against it; it's just not for me.

Instead I sing tunes inside my helmet during the longer, boring sections of road during long days.  Thankfully I know a lot of songs!  🙂 

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, TimC said:

I sing tunes inside my helmet

Me too! For no good reason, "sitting on the dock of the bay" come on my sing-list a lot. 

12 hours ago, Terry said:

I've tried earbud type systems before but usually struggle to keep them in my ears as my helmet goes on. Is there anything special about the Motikom?

I did too. I've tried a lot of different brands of earbuds some better than others, of course, but Motikom spent some time designing an earbud that fits your ear and is somewhat flatter than most making it easier to keep in your ear as your helmet goes on. Yes, I've struggled with my Bluetooth earbuds coming out when I put a helmet on. I haven't had that issue yet with the Motikom system. With the Mplus Limited Edition you have the intercommunication system as well. Since I have over 8,000 pieces of music that goes with me, I don't load them on my phone, and I don't pay for a streaming service, so I have several versions of Mp3 players. With the Motikom system I can connect to both my phone and my Mp3 player at the same time. With other Bluetooth earbuds it's either the Mp3 player or the phone but NOT at the same time. Also, with the turn knobs at the end of the system you have more control over your music be it skipping forward or backward, volume control, answering phone calls, refusing phone calls. Also, you have the capability to set the level of noise cancelation. Motikom designed this system with motorcycle riders in mind. There are several reviews on YouTube if you would like more reviews. I know I did so I went to YouTube to see what I could find before I made the purchase. I have subscribed to MOTOBOB for a while and that's where I heard about them first.

I've tried so many I can't count and found that the sound quality of the earbud matter less than the fit and seal. Block out the white noise and seal in the music and you will be happy with medium quality buds. They also must stay in place when sliding a helmet on. A skull cap helps with this when pulled down over the ears.

I found $30 JBL's that did fit and sealed and blew away earbuds that cost $100+ that sounded way better sitting on my couch. It's all about the application.

• Member Contributer
23 hours ago, Kbear said:

Motikom's website.

Since the early 2000's in LA and SF streets/freeways, listen to music all the time. No issue with concentration or hearing what I needed to hear. Have a few hours and multiple playlists loaded on my mobile in case of no reception, otherwise I'm on Spotify or Sirius.  If I loose reception when listening to Spotify or Sirius, the earbuds become my ear plugs

I use Sony's WI-C310 earbuds with Comply memory foam tips or stock silicon tips depending on which set of C310's I wear (I have 2).  The memory foam tips are definitely quieter but require a bit more effort to insert and your hands must be clean to roll up the foam before inserting in ear.  The silicon tips are best when doing short trips and need to remove/insert the buds quickly. I tried using my Sony WF1000XM3 noise canceling earbuds, but find that even after I removed the pads on my Nolan N100-5 for the N-Com speaker system, the fit was not right for my head.  I don't know how the C310's do with calls, as I always put my phone on mute when I ride. 

That Motikom system looks nice,  If I ever need an intercom or a way to take calls, the Motikom will definitely get a look.

• Member Contributer

Moozic non stop on every RC45 ride...

I went with custom molded ear plugs with tiny Sony digital
speakers... they cut 30db of wind noise and allow every note of the
music through even at low volumes... perfect...

s7uGE8b.jpg
i5BEcBR.jpg

I added a light weight Xact Sirius satellite receiver... Moozic non stop...

If I can afford a ticket I listen to Fast beat Progressive House dance music...

if I can't afford a ticket I listen to channel Chill or slow beat dance music...
I have to be careful because my right wrist is so effective by the beat...

vg65Hwb.jpg

To keep my butt out of jail I interfaced Mr.RC45's Oh Shit Detector's BEEP BEEP BEEEEEEEEEEP...
0PkYEzb.jpg

• Member Contributer
On 5/17/2022 at 9:26 AM, bmart said:

For some riders sound systems are unsafe... they would spend too much
attention on the moozic and not enough on where they're going and what
they're are doing... so even thought they may not find the right  words
to express their concerns we still respect their choice...

i don't believe cell phones mounted on bikes are any different from phones held in car drivers hands, both unsafe and distracting.  just another sad sign of electronic media addiction.

• Member Contributer

I keep my cellphone on a Quadlock mount on my ST1300 and MT-10, mainly just as a place to secure and charge it. I don't look at or touch it when riding (and my gloves won't let me anyway), although it is useful as a GPS speedo. Turn by turn navigation instructions from Google maps were brilliant through the headset as well. 

Archived