dang i love this 5th gen

So I took a long hiatus from riding.

Probably a familar story, I used to ride all the time but got married had kids decided I shouldn't be hooliganing around on my bike and sold it.

So fast forward 15 years...

I've always really liked 5th gen VFR's and always wanted one. Welp 18 months ago (roughly) I finally was like f'k it i'm getting a bike and I put search alerts up for a 5th gen vfr and bid my time.

Finally I saw a deal pop up that I pounced on.  A 1998, with 13k miles on it,  the previous owner had an incident where it fell over in gravel 😐  so the fairing on the one side is scratched up.  But I thought to myself at that mileage, for 2K hell I haven't ridden in 15 years maybe it's not so bad if there's scratches (barely noticeable from 10 feet away).  So with cash in hand I came home with my VFR.   At first I was unexpectedly a nervous rider, that only lasted a couple weeks as I got my riding instincts back.   It probably took took a good 6 months before I was really second nature and was riding with my bike, instead of "on" my bike.   But now,  5K miles later I ride whenever I can.  Whether it's a simple hey we need some small item that will fit in my tail bag (I have a tank bag that I put over the pillion, which works really well) Or I just want to ride for the heck of it as long it's above freezing I'm good.

Just other day I was riding though and I was really starting to push her through her paces.  The bike is definitely still more capable then I but I feel very competent once more.   But I just came away with what an awesome all around bike this truly is.  It's one thing to know that you are getting a great bike, but another to experience and feel it in your bones.

Anyhoo just wanted to chime that in...  (Pic from day i brought her home)

20201015_144616c.jpg

• Member Contributer

Yeah, similar story here. I am amazed how my ('97) 4th Gen performs being an oldtimer now. Ooh, and the sound!

• Member Contributer

I enjoy my 5th gens. Still, I wonder how I'd feel about my FJ if I were able to ride it again now!

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the asylum vikingGoalie from the Land Of Interesting Weather. You obviously have great taste in mc's. Best generation in the fastest color.

I hope all your riding is safe.

It's a perfect bike for me. I needed an update for my Superhawk VTR and Ninja1000 was not it. It was a hard beast to tame. Simple chin over wrist didn't cut it. My short torso required I hang off the side on anything more than a sweeper. VFR is much better engineered and refined and just enough more aggressive riding position. 

Archived