Strange noises after service maintenance

llb

Hi All,

I'm experiencing some strange noises after get my 32000Km maintenance from a certified dealer. All the filters(air and oil) and fluids were changed during maintenance. There are 2 separate noises, one is during the ride and the other one is when the bike is off even after hours later. 

Running noise:

Especially on gear 3 and around 4-5krpm engine (or some other part) starts making a pitch noise like a jet engine and it fades away as I speed up. 

Engine off noise:

I realized this one while I was checking the front tire before I was getting ready for the ride in the morning. So it is like cat purring (I know it sound strange :) ) for a second and keeps repeating maybe after 30 secs. I didn't check if is periodic but I keep hearing it again if I wait long enough. I'm sure it is not related with any cooling off part because I heard it first in the morning which I used the bike day before. 

Honda VFR800x Crossrunner 2015

I highly appreciate any suggestions or information, thanks in advance

Well, since these dealers usually don't know what they are doing here is my 2 cents:

Since the air filter was replaced and the tank needs to be lifted for service. If u r not careful you will pull on the breather hose and when you place

the tank down you need to be aware to make sure u do not kink the breather hose on the way down. Could this be the cause of the running pitch noise if a breather is kinked.

Maybe maybe not. I changed my air filter before season and made sure I did not kink the breather hose. 

2nd noise:

Could it be the pressure release valve for the gas tank. You will hear that noise when pressure builds up in tank. That could be a possibilty.

Good luck

• Member Contributer

Sorry that you're having these problems. 

"Never, ever, let a trained professional touch anything!" lol

The 'engine-off noise' may indeed be the breathing of the gas tank and is nothing to worry about (my 2015 X-runner does this so now and then and my breather his has NOT kinked). BUT if you have ridden for a while, then try to open the filler cap and you get the feeling that it will not open, the tank may be under a vacuum. And this may mean that the breather hose has folded/kinked.

I don't know if this also may have to do with the 'running noise'.

• Member Contributer

Noise at rest has to do with tank-venting. Perhaps they didn't hook up some hose properly.

image.thumb.jpeg.e195f7e6dc73469ab7551dacc3092e96.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Engine Off noise - is completely normal and its the tank venting, pressure relief valve flutter in the fuel cap. Can sometimes sound like your fuel pump is priming. All 8gens do it, I'm sure the 800x would be the same.

Running noise - if it wasn't there prior to the service, take it back to them and have them sort it out. Check for any fairing panels they may have removed, make sure all fairing screws and clips are correctly installed. Perhaps they might have overtightend your chain, this can create strange noises and vibrations!

• Member Contributer

It is a dealer, so you'll want to be sure to check, or have them check, everything they touched. 

• Member Contributer
55 minutes ago, bmart said:

It is a dealer, so you'll want to be sure to check, or have them check, everything they touched. 

The unfortunate reality these days . . . if at all possible, I recommend DIY to everyone.  There's more knowledge here than at most dealer shops.  :dry:

• Member Contributer

Not that they could! Probably strip the plastic nuts. 

Archived