Security bolt install tool ?

Gotama

So after my gen 6 Had an attempted to be stolen, I purchased a new key set  new Topridge and everything to rekey the bike. What tool do I need to install these security bolts for the ignition?

If you look closely they’re not the tap torque bit, and they are not just an Allen head.

D5BE67FA-2546-41F7-B8FE-674435CE589E.jpeg

051DD294-8489-4C04-B2A0-D76FBA053741.jpeg

• Member Contributer

I'm not familiar with that particular type of security bold head, but if they are OEM the special tool will be mentioned in the Honda Workshop Manual for the bike.

However, nobody steals a VFR by removing the lock cylinder...  I don't really see the purpose of fitting one-way security bolts to my own bike--when I'm the only one likely to ever want to remove them!

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

Agreeing with the thought that they are probably not necessary... can you just match the thread and buy standard bolts instead of the security ones?

• Member Contributer

Agree with JZH and rhoderage.

Find yourself the equivalent 8mm bolts with Allen key socket head. You never know when you might need to replace a faulty Ignition Switch, trying to remove the one way bolts could be a nightmare.

1 hour ago, JZH said:

I'm not familiar with that particular type of security bold head, but if they are OEM the special tool will be mentioned in the Honda Workshop Manual for the bike.

However, nobody steals a VFR by removing the lock cylinder...  I don't really see the purpose of fitting one-way security bolts to my own bike--when I'm the only one likely to ever want to remove them!

Ciao,

JZH

Really well that’s what they tried to do 

CDAA7F70-5C35-46EF-9939-A755155EBFB2.jpeg

1 hour ago, JZH said:

And I’m not seeing it in the service manual just says bolts 2 size 6 with notes that don’t point me to the right tool 

4 hours ago, V4 Rosso said:

Looks to me you can use a regular allen key to install the one way bolts.

Nope Allen key just spins in the head 

Just go get a couple M8x1.25 bolts in the same length from your local hardware. Install them with medium loctite. If someone really wants to steal your bike, it's definitely not the lack of security bolts that will stop them. Sucks that you have to eat the cost of the 2 Honda bolts, but 2 regular ones will be cheaper than any tool that Honda sells.

• Member Contributer

The 8gen uses the same bolts. The 8gen Service Manual states to drill the head of the bolt or use an equivalent removal tool.

Wouldn't bother replacing with the security bolts.

• Member Contributer
23 hours ago, Gotama said:

Really well that’s what they tried to do 

CDAA7F70-5C35-46EF-9939-A755155EBFB2.jpeg

What did they try? Looks like trying to jimmy igntion-switch with screwdriver? 

With or without security bolts wouldn't mattered one bit. But it's YOU who will need to remove then to replace ignition swich, not them.

5 hours ago, DannoXYZ said:

What did they try? Looks like trying to jimmy igntion-switch with screwdriver? 

With or without security bolts would've mattered one bit. But it's YOU who will need to remove then to replace ignition swich, not them.

That’s what the would be thief did .

fucker cut himself too trying to hammer it .

blood all over the bike , hope he sliced an artery……

but yes the tip of the flat blade broke off and I was able to pull it out with tweezers.

• Member Contributer

Bastard!!! Hope he contracts tetanus and has slow horrible painful recovery!!!

• Member Contributer

could always go by your local honda dealer and see what they say... i would assume they can look it up, perhaps if you're lucky they have experience replacing ignition and actually know what you're talking about

• Member Contributer

Not sure how they are installed, but agree that it's a very unlikely way for someone to try to steal your bike.  When I got my bike out of storage I could not find my keys.  Before I realised that I could remove the ignition lock with the triple clamp attached, I dismantled the front of the bike so I could get access to drill out these security bolts. 

Anyway, the point of my post was to say that I replaced with standard bolts, so yes, this can be done.   Mine is 5th gen and unfortunately I do not have the order available to confirm the size of bolt, but I know ordered ordinary metric (M8 I think) bolts from ebay.  You should be able to match them easily enough since you have the security bolts to try with a nut.

• Member Contributer

I've removed the ignition lock cylinder on my 6th gen to clean the switch at the bottom.  It's non-trivial effort to get under and through the upper triple clamp with an allen wrench and remove it without disassembling the front of the bike.  I see what they were thinking with yours...doesn't look like they knew where the screws are.

Someone tried to steal my bike a few weeks after I bought it back in 2003.  They cut the ignition cables and clearly thought they could hotwire the bike like on TV.  I don't think most wanna-be bike thieves really know how all of this works, let alone enough of the inner workings of something like this.  "Real" vehicle thieves are just going to pull up with a flat bed truck or trailer and take your vehicle to be stripped elsewhere, in seconds.

Anyway, like others said, these security bolts are going to make your life harder than someone else's.  I can say some of my starter circuit issues were due to dirt and grease washing down through the whole cylinder into the switch at the bottom over time.  So there are circumstances for elderly bikes like our 6th gens where you don't want to preclude yourself from getting into that switch easily later.

• Member Contributer
On 5/9/2022 at 3:27 PM, stuartb3502 said:

Not sure how they are installed, but agree that it's a very unlikely way for someone to try to steal your bike.  When I got my bike out of storage I could not find my keys.  Before I realised that I could remove the ignition lock with the triple clamp attached, I dismantled the front of the bike so I could get access to drill out these security bolts. 

Maybe Honda should have put the forks on security bolts, too...

As mentioned above, the would-be thief was so unfamiliar with Hondas (they're all the same--if not most other Japanese motorcycles!) he didn't know that the security bolts holding the lock cylinder are on the bottom of the top clamp!  Oh, dear...

Btw, on Euro-spec and other Hondas with the HISS security system, the black plastic piece bolted on top of the triple clamp is a transponder for the coded chip in the ignition key.  Removing it just means there is no way to send the corresponding code to the ECU to allow the bike to run.  As it happens, this vandal only destroyed a decorative plastic bezel, which had no function in the bike's security system whatsoever.

Be thankful for stupid thieves, I guess... :blush:

Ciao,

JZH

Archived