Suggestions for missing air box seals.

YosemiteVFR

I went to change an old K&N element for a BMC unit recently and cannot for the life of me find the seals I removed back in 2008...go figure. Last I looked, the seals are NLA nor is the more expensive air box option. I thought about finding just the seals but I'm betting it wouldn't be fruitful, though I suppose it could be. I figure my remaining options are most likely; running the BMC without them (prefer not) or creating a seal.  What would you guys do in this situation?  Thanks in advance!

• Member Contributer

I purchased my 5th gen with a k/n filter installed.  I decided to go back to stock filter but found that the gasket at the airbox was missing.  Needing to remedy the issue right away I decided to partially fill the receiving channel with silicone rtv.  Before installing, I misted my air filter edge with silicon.  Worked out to be a perfect seal that let the air filterto be  removable. 

16 minutes ago, Fritzer said:

I purchased my 5th gen with a k/n filter installed.  I decided to go back to stock filter but found that the gasket at the airbox was missing.  Needing to remedy the issue right away I decided to partially fill the receiving channel with silicone rtv.  Before installing, I misted my air filter edge with silicon.  Worked out to be a perfect seal that let the air filterto be  removable. 

That's a great idea! Thanks for taking the time to chime in with it. I'd considered using something like this approach but sort of fell short on what I could use as a sort of mold release in order to have something that would cleanly disassemble when needed. Did you end up with the rtv "seals" remaining in the upper and lower air box portions much like the OEM rubber seals?

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, YosemiteVFR said:

Did you end up with the rtv "seals" remaining in the upper and lower air box portions much like the OEM rubber seals?

I have not needed to remove the filter yet, but I am pretty sure the silicone will stay in place when the filter is removed.

3 hours ago, stuartb3502 said:

Something like this perhaps:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164846154753

Fit, cut to length, superglue the join.  Not tried, but have re-sealed a rear light cluster on a car with a similar approach. 

This is great - thanks. Looks like it'd be easy to work with in this application too. I appreciate it.

3 hours ago, Fritzer said:

I have not needed to remove the filter yet, but I am pretty sure the silicone will stay in place when the filter is removed.

Thanks for the follow-up on that point!

I think between these two, I've got a couple good options at hand.

Thanks gents!

Archived