Rear Preload setting

VFR80025th

I've been fiddling with my rear preload setting . Its way to firm. Don't mind it in the twisties but going over bumby broken pavement I'm coming off my seat. LOL

Stock setting from factory  is 7 turns/clicks from softest setting according to manual.

I'm down to 6 right now.

Where do you currently have your preload set with no touring bags on bike. 

Thxs

• Member Contributer

The # is irrelevant. Have you taken measurments to properly set front and rear sag for your weight? One affects the other. 

A good rule of thumb from no weight (wheels off ground) and rider weight ( in gear and in normal riding position with any other equipment use (tank bag, etc.)) is 30-35mm front and 25-30mm rear (measured vertically from axle area), with some rider preference built in. If you get in that range, your bike only sag should fall roughly in line (20-24mm front and 8-10mm rear). 

My front on the 2000 is 31mm rider, 23mm bike, and the rear is 25mm rider and 5mm bike only. It isn't perfect (and the valving is WAY off) but it is certainly rideable. 

Bumps used to be all but outlawed here in NC, but now they're here with a vengeance!

Hi vfr80025th, I had exactly the same sensation with my 8th gen and it was driving me crazy. Bmart is of course right. However after much fiddling I've arrived at the following front and rear. I weigh 95 kg fully kitted and no luggage on the bike; seems to work on bumpy uk roads.

Front preload 4.5 rings showing. Rebound 1.5 turns from full hard 

Rear preload at 4 from fully soft. Rebound at 1.5 turns from hard.

Hope that helps

• Member Contributer

I'm a little under Presson's weight.  I could get sag in the right place with the stock springs, but the rates were too low.  I now have Racetech fork valves and a full Hyperpro shock in the rear, but I was pretty happy with Hyperpro springs alone at both ends.  Eats bumps and pot holes mid-corner, leaned way over, no problem:

https://hyperpro.com/

• Member Contributer
On 4/26/2022 at 1:05 PM, VFR80025th said:

I've been fiddling with my rear preload setting . Its way to firm. Don't mind it in the twisties but going over bumby broken pavement I'm coming off my seat. LOL

Stock setting from factory  is 7 turns/clicks from softest setting according to manual.

I'm down to 6 right now.

Where do you currently have your preload set with no touring bags on bike. 

Thxs

what is your rebound set at (bottom of shock)?  if it wound too hard it will just jack the bike down on bumpy roads.   For reference ,my preload is at 23 turns in from softest also weigh 115kg.

The settings are not going to translate from one bike to the next.  Sag must be set to the bike and rider, not to someone else's results.  Look up David Moss videos on YouTube.  He's the expert.  You'll learn a ton.

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, Sparkie said:

The settings are not going to translate from one bike to the next.  Sag must be set to the bike and rider, not to someone else's results.  Look up David Moss videos on YouTube.  He's the expert.  You'll learn a ton.

No shit Sherlock.

Archived