5th Gen Brake Bleed Issue - help please

Skids

• Member Contributer

I've removed the old brake lines from my 01 5th Gen and replaced with HEL braided brake hoses, stripped the callipers and rebuilt with new rubber and pads. Tightened everything up and started to put brake fluid back through the system. Was slow for the front callipers but emptied 2 reservoirs and got some fluid through to each calliper. Moved onto rear pedal and front RH lower bleed nipple and as I'm getting fluid through I notice a leak up at the side of the headstock where the brake pipe joins onto a metal pipe that runs to the rear system - see photo, arrow points to leak, same on both sides of headstock. It's leaking both sides from where the vertical pipe disappears into the threaded bolt. 

I'm wondering is there anything more to these pipes other than insert into new HEL braided housing and tighten? I don't know what these are called and can't find any reference to them or pictures of them in the Haynes manual. Either they're fooked or I've not connected them correctly.

Any help appreciated

.20220419_145807.thumb.jpg.26f831ae5c67e425940d2a740f6f0d54.jpg

• Member Contributer

The only thing I can think of is that the angles of the flare on the tube and the fitting may not match.  The manufacturer may have some insight in to that. 

• Member Contributer

Might just need to give the fitting a bit more tightening, clean the area, see if it continues to leak. Generally speaking these fittings do need to be very tight!

• Member Contributer

Thanks Cogs & Grum, I was really p'ed off with myself yesterday. I thought I'd replaced and fitted everything very pedantically, and I've done the same thing before on my 6th Gen about 10 years ago and the only trouble I ran into was when one of the SpeedBleeders didn't have its bleeding hole in it and I didn't spot it when I fitted it.

I'll see what time I have after work this week otherwise it'll be the weekend before I can take a look.

• Member Contributer

Be careful not to crank it down too tight all at once - the tubing flare can split.  Just sneak up on it a bit at a time until the leak stops.  If you get to refusal and it's still leaking, maybe the fittings are not compatible for whatever reason.  Be sure to use a tubing wrench - an open end wrench can very well round off the tubing nut when getting to where it's tight enough. 

• Member Contributer

Download the Galfer instructions for the kit... they mention and supply two "olive" conic inversers (their term), which are brass ferrules to insert into two fittings where an OEM line joins theirs...... these will crush slightly as you snug up the fittings, thus taking up any difference between the two flares and seal properly...  I am wondering if you are missing these.  I have no pics of the item, nor it appears does Galfer.  They would have been in your kit.

Recommend you download the instructions from Galfer for the D195-11 kit.  One "olive" and fitting goes on the end of line "D" and the other on the end of line "F".  In both locations you are mating to an existing steel line.  I do not see the block fitting in your photo, so perhaps you are doing it differently or not using the 11 line kit.  Tighten as you might, it may not seal?

https://galferusa.com/technical/instructions/honda-instructions

• Member Contributer

Thanks for that m8. 

My set is HEL, not Galfer and the design of the joint between the new braided hose and the existing steel line by the headstock is different between the 2 makes. HEL looks more like OEM with a 90° joint, Galfer is in-line. Other than that, there is nothing to add to make a better joint and there was nothing removed when I took it apart originally either. 

I'll take it apart again and see I can see what I'm doing wrong. :beer:

• Member Contributer

Ah OK, didn't realize you had HEL....  sometimes just backing off and re-snug will fix flare leaks, but I'd take it apart and see whazzup with the flare end and if OK, try again...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I've done just that and it still leaks.

Are the solid brake lines that go from the headtsock to the back replaceable? I couldn't find them on the parts fiche to get a part #.

Seriously hacked off now as this is holding up all progress on my bike.

Any thoughts, anyone?

• Member Contributer

They are on the fiche actually, they have their own page; https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/hon/506c2ae4f870023420a30efd/proportioning-valve

The fact that they show a price suggests they are still available, surprisingly. Maybe try your local dealer, but don't be surprised if it's a lengthy back order.

• Member Contributer

Hey Skids.  Sorry that's giving you so much grief. Other than Grum's idea of cinching it down tighter, nothing other than it not being made to the proper spec or a manufacturing defect comes to mind.    Were you able to reach anyone at HEL to see if they have any ideas?  

• Member Contributer

How about get in touch with Galfer and get a couple of their little "olives".  They are brass and will take up any mismatch between two flares.

A replacement brake line, is the flare going to be any different than what you have?  Is it obviously buggered up or still look good?  I think you are steel on steel, so maybe all you gotta do is crank them tighter?

• Member Contributer
On 4/30/2022 at 4:11 AM, raYzerman said:

How about get in touch with Galfer and get a couple of their little "olives".  They are brass and will take up any mismatch between two flares.

A replacement brake line, is the flare going to be any different than what you have?  Is it obviously buggered up or still look good?  I think you are steel on steel, so maybe all you gotta do is crank them tighter?

Done that, thanks. Even though it's not a Galfer kit, it seems they think some sort of gasket/olive is necessary so I'll see what they say.

Meantime, it appears a replacement pipe is not an option over here as everywhere I've looked, it's not available. But looking at that link Dangeruss posted, they are available in the US and at about a third of the price they would have charged over here.  :blink:

• Member Contributer

Mine should still be there, if of use I can send the whole front brake lines. I need to check but the whole lot should be in the box-o-parts.

If you need let me know and its in the post, least I could do for your help.

• Member Contributer

Thanks m8. 

Let's hang on and see if Galfer can help. :beer:

• Member Contributer

Here's the Galfer solution. Not heard back from HEL yet. 

20220503_175933.jpg

• Member Contributer

HEL came up trumps in the end, manufactured a brand new set of pipes yesterday, shipped them overnight and they arrived today.

They think that the threads weren't formed deep enough so there was no way to get the 2 ends of the pipes to meet and seal.

It'll be at least this weekend, possibly later before I'll find out though. Busy boy!

• Member Contributer

Let us know what you see, and if they were right!

• Member Contributer

Yeah, Good luck Skids it's been somewhat of a battle but surely you'll be right now with the new lines and connections.

• Member Contributer

Well......fitted the first pipe, that was fine, 2nd pipe was too short, they sent one of the pipes that attach to the SMC. So a quick call and they are manufacturing the correct pipe (I hope) and shipping overnight. Sent them a copy of the parts fiche with a huge arrow pointing to the correct pipe 😆.

Whilst their CS is good (when they put the correct pipe in the package), I'm rapidly losing confidence in their product so I have ordered a set of Galfers, the last one in the shop, as a back-up as I have a sneaky suspicion that these new pipes wont work either. I can always sell the Galfers if they do work but it's worth the expense to guarantee I have some brake lines that work (I fitted Galfer to my old 6th Gen and they were great).

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, Skids said:

Well......fitted the first pipe, that was fine, 2nd pipe was too short, they sent one of the pipes that attach to the SMC. So a quick call and they are manufacturing the correct pipe (I hope) and shipping overnight. Sent them a copy of the parts fiche with a huge arrow pointing to the correct pipe 😆.

Whilst their CS is good (when they put the correct pipe in the package), I'm rapidly losing confidence in their product so I have ordered a set of Galfers, the last one in the shop, as a back-up as I have a sneaky suspicion that these new pipes wont work either. I can always sell the Galfers if they do work but it's worth the expense to guarantee I have some brake lines that work (I fitted Galfer to my old 6th Gen and they were great).

What an ordeal.  At least they're responsive and trying to make it right for you.  That I think, counts for a lot.  Best of luck with it. 

• Member Contributer

Makes me wonder if it is just one, or a batch...

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, bmart said:

Makes me wonder if it is just one, or a batch...

:blink:

Hope not, the replacement was here when I got home from work just now so I'll get around to fitting it sometime and let you know.

• Member Contributer

Do they look/measure as different? 

Archived