PCV bleed valve

Skids

• Member Contributer

Another issue I'm struggling to answer is the tightening of the rear PCV bleed valve located beneath the seat, alongside the rear tank mount. I've replaced the brake hose into the PCV and need to tighten it but it's so far below the bleed valve that I can't get a socket on it and therfore cannot connect my torque wrench so how do you torque it? Do I need another tool for this job?

Also, what the correct torque? I'm thinking 34Nm. 

Thanks in advance. 

20220416_170544.jpg

• Member Contributer

Torque it? Just make it snug like any other brake bleed nipple. 

• Member Contributer

Yeah, what Bmart says, it just needs to be snugged up so it doesn't weep. 34N-m is huge, only for the 10mm thread brake hose joint bolts at the callipers...don't do it! The service manual says 6 N-m for bleed nipples, which is bugger-all.  

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Terry said:

Yeah, what Bmart says, it just needs to be snugged up so it doesn't weep. 34N-m is huge, only for the 10mm thread brake hose joint bolts at the callipers...don't do it! The service manual says 6 N-m for bleed nipples, which is bugger-all.  

6Nm is fine for bleed nipples alone which I do usually do by hand, but the PCV bleed nipple has a brake hose joint below it so it has to be tightened the same as the ones on the callipers. Take a look at the photo I attached above, below the bleed nipple is brake hose and it's so far below the bleed nipple that I can't get a socket over it.

I guess I could remove the bleed nipple, hadn't thought of that. I'll give it a try.

• Member Contributer

Just goes to show that I don't read posts carefully before commenting. I agree that you need the higher torque for the oil hose bolt below the nipple. 

• Member Contributer

It worked, nipple removed allows socket onto banjo bolt. 

Archived