Air Filter Replace or Not?

Skids

• Member Contributer

I realise I'll probably get some contrasting views but here goes...

Do I need to change the air filter on my recently acquired '01 5th Gen? 

The current one has done less than 100 miles but has been in place for 11 years. Yes, that's correct, 100 miles in 11 years (one of the reasons I bought her) and no, there are no bird or rat nests in it, it looks hardly used but I don't know if the material deteriorates over time and affects the air flow rates???

If I'm honest, I don't know why I'm asking, I've spent so much on her so far that what's another £20 so perhaps I'm just asking out of interest.

• Member Contributer

Hi Skids.

If the element looks good, no torn pleats, holes or obvious damage to the element it should be fine. As far as I'm aware the viscous oil within the element does not go off over time! Try it out, if your fuel economy and/or performance is not good then go get a new one.

I've been doing a naughty thing since 2005 on my 6gens and current 8gen! (6 and 8gen filters are the same)

I have one spare OEM airfilter which I swap over every second service, so my bike sees a clean airfilter at a maximum of 16,000kms.

The one I remove I wash down with soluble degreaser, back flow rinse with water hose, and a blow with compressed air, dry it out, then set it aside in a plastic bag. Before fitting it I give it a light spray with K&N Air Filter Oil.

The thing I'm getting at is these two filters have maintained there good integrity for many years. Would imagine an OEM 5gen airfilter should be no different, especially one having done less than 100 miles.

As always YMMV.

Cheers.

Archived