Repair to despair

In December 2020 I managed to bin my bike and properly trash the plastics. Despite knowing it was going to be difficult to get things sorted, I decided I couldn't give up on my bike.

After much fairing hunting, a full respray, new exhaust and screen and an 8 month wait, she was back and beautiful. However, after her lie down and prolonged lay up, she wasn't running right, and eventually left me sitting on the side of the road in November last year. 

It wasn't until March that I was able to get my mechanic to sort the carbs and get her running like as well as she looked, but by mid March she was ready for all the glorious days Spring and Summer had to offer.

And then on a ride out with my partner last weekend she started conking out again. I pulled in to the side of the road and tried to restart. Luckily my partner hopped off, and told me I needed to get off real fast as smoke was pouring out from under the seat. Something had gone very wrong with the fuel pump...

Half an hour, one fire engine and a lot of water later and I'm back to square one, except this time it's the rear of the bike that's screwed, not the front. I'm not sure what the moral of this story is. 

If anyone in the UK has a line on some rear fairing panels or a seat (no matter how scruffy as I'll need to get re-covered and reshaped anyway), please let me know!

image.thumb.jpeg.cb10a5001d926abfd9752e151e083cfe.jpeg

20210826_174707.jpg

20210920_144027.jpg

Screenshot_20220410-103459_Gallery.jpg

20220409_105711.jpg

Thanks Tim, the scouring of eBay has already started! Don't know the full extent of the damage "under the hood" as the fire melted the seat release cable, and I don't want to start getting heavy handed until after the insurance people have been out to have a look, not that I quite understand why they need to - there's no way they don't declare it a write-off.

• Member Contributer

No black cats, broken mirrors or ladders around your house mate? They say bad luck comes in three’s  so you should be OK now🤞. Any way much better than having an accident, especially when you have your partner on the back. Best of luck getting her on the road again (the bike I mean)

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, moroseduck said:

The cat! It's that little b******s fault! Honestly, if my partner hadn't been with me then I'd have still been sat on the bike until my arse was on fire 😅

I often ride with that feeling but usually put it down to last night's curry. 😁

Seriously, glad Yr both OK and hope you can get the bike fixed quickly. 

• Member Contributer

This is where I had my 750 seat recovered https://www.motorcycleseatcovers.co.uk/blank-l62lg/replacement-seat-cover-fits-honda-vfr750-fj-fk-vfr750-fj-fk-to-fit-years-1988

Excellent job and very pleasant person 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/8/2022 at 3:54 AM, koekum said:

This is true! I've purchased from them several times. Fast ship, great pricing. 

Archived