Cheap bar risers installed

whodat90

I've been pretty intensely on puppy duty for the past bit of time, but some bar risers I ordered for my VFR8 came in and I'm finally able to step away from the pups for a bit.  Went to the doctor a while ago (actually it's a friend who's a doctor) and it turns out I have two pretty nasty conditions, I'm old and I'm fat.  To that end I needed a bit more room and a bit less stretch over to the bars.  Helibars cost all the money.  Had them on my last VFR, but they're way more than I'm willing to pay for this one.  I searched around and found a cheap set on the ebays that are basically a top-cap extension and a riser.  Cheap enough, $105 shipped.  If you're going to cheap out on motorcycle parts, make sure it's the ones responsible for controlling the whole thing.  Anyway:
52000328063_a2cef5a869_c.jpgUntitled by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr

And here's the OEM compared.  I moved the O-rings across from the old to the new ones.

51999255822_42bcac4326_c.jpgUntitled by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr

I greased all the threads and O-rings before installation.  Stock:

51999258032_f7fe00bf1e_c.jpgUntitled by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr

Extension installed:

52000905785_5f87d61d28_c.jpgUntitled by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr

Riser installed:

52000337838_de023d34fa_c.jpgUntitled by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr

Important to note that the riser doesn't reach the joint between the tube and cap.  That way when the clipon is installed it'll clamp the two together so it can't unthread easily.

And here they are fully installed:

51999267332_e7f9152c6d_c.jpgUntitled by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr

51999272882_e1238f42a2_c.jpgUntitled by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr

Haven't ridden it yet, but I sat on the bike and made vroom noises and it seems at least $105 more comfortable so far.

So it wasn't until a day or two ago I found out there's a different version of these made by a company called moto-cnc. Except they don't let you keep your preload adjustment and they don't thread into the fork tubes, they just have a puck that sits on top of your existing fork cap and the clipon clamps half on the fork leg and half on the loose cap. I'll give that a hard pass, thanks.  This is inherently a much stronger connection.

It's always a crapshoot posting ebay links since this post will be here long after ebay has changed it, but here's what I bought. Not affiliated, not a recommendation, etc. Just fyi.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284690254630

• Member Contributer

Nice! They look well made. 

I have Helibars but recently I'm finding even that position is painful after some time. I'm always looking into raising the riding position more

Shipping was a couple weeks, but the seller let me know immediately.  It's because of the worldwide shipping slowdown.  That said, it did end up getting to me two weeks earlier than expected.

On a side note, a gentleman on another forum told me that you can get another 3/4" of pullback by flipping the stock bars side to side.  I may do that also, but it'll be a bit of a pain due to the heated grips I have installed.

11 hours ago, slowbird said:

I have Helibars but recently I'm finding even that position is painful after some time. I'm always looking into raising the riding position more

These will work with helibars but I'd start to worry about the bars hitting the bottom of the windscreen at full lock.  may not be an issue depending on the pullback, but something to consider before purchase.

Took the bike out for a quick ride.  It made enough of a difference in riding position that I had to adjust my rearview mirrors.  Felt pretty comfortable too, so overall I'm pleased.

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, slowbird said:

I have them on one of my VFR's and find that they feel fine on short rides, but on longer ones, the bar angle causes me more wrist pain than the OEM's ever did, so I like the OEM's better.  The only reason I have the Heli's is because they were on the bike when I got it and the previous owner didn't have the OEM's.  

The extensions in the OP's little kit look pretty cool.  

• Member Contributer

The bug I have with using something like the extenders is that they raise the bars, but the angle of the levers is stull stupid high and uncomfortable. I'll never understand why all companies ship bikes with lever nowhere near in line with human arms when riding. 🙂

Archived