27 years ago today.

Every April 11th my mind races back to 1995. It was a quick later morning ride before heading back to pick up my wife and take a couple hours enjoying the early riding season weather. Riding my Ducati 906 Paso I ran a corner wide and hit an oncoming car head on.

I made excuses for a long time, sandy patch on the road, it’s an off camber corner, the bike wanted to stand up when late braking. The list could go on I guess. Bottom line being honest, I was totally at fault, lack of experience nearly cost me my life that morning. The accident and the horrible accident my wife & I had Sept 19, 2018 (which is another story) are always on my mind, especially when riding. I haven’t let the accidents take riding motorcycles from me and didn’t let it make me a nervous overly cautious rider. I’ve learned from the accidents and it’s made me a better, safer, more educated rider. 

Stay safe everyone!! 

• Member Contributer

Thanks for sharing that - a sobering reminder.  We've had a few members who weren't so lucky.   It's good that you count your blessings.

Archived