1992 VFR750F Followed me home... on my trailer.

• Member Contributer

50K with Title. Tank is spotless inside. 2020 tabs, so not sitting forever. All trim pieces present, except for the side stand cowl... of course. Accessory center stand. No seat cowl.   Been working on this deal for months.

1637168813_PXL_20220410_2149105611.thumb.jpg.8bb06028227a45ec5ea512c5c6e07ad0.jpg

676128044_PXL_20220410_215031408_MP1.thumb.jpg.743a4ef55f6f01cf01edaac63c26d070.jpg

Helibar Clip ons, which were a surprise.  They will be sold.

446638791_PXL_20220410_2151195371.thumb.jpg.04e4dd314b130a19894ddd5103e7af3c.jpg

The other surprise....   Works Performance Shock.

602186031_PXL_20220410_2151361231.thumb.jpg.714434317b6efc0768e5c842a7f40340.jpg

They all can't be $400.  Had to pay $500.

They are getting hard to find in moderate, complete condition.  This one is the keeper for Resto. 

• Member Contributer

What are your plans on color, polish or repaint?  Since I'm not supplying labor, I'd recommend something other than black and purple.  😁

• Member Contributer
13 minutes ago, bmart said:

Congrats. Looks like it needs some TLC!

Yeah.  Solid bones that needs some love.  The hard part is finding one that is complete and not too far gone, but is not so nice that it's hard to start modding on.  This one fits the criteria.

• Member Contributer
10 minutes ago, tbzep said:

What are your plans on color, polish or repaint?  Since I'm not supplying labor, I'd recommend something other than black and purple.  😁

This will eventually be a full RestoMod with repaint.  It will likely not be staying the same color, but if it is "black" (Granite Blue) it will get some graphics that do not incorporate purple.

Right now I'm contemplating a Pearl White or a Charcoal Grey.

• Member Contributer
14 minutes ago, Captain 80s said:

it will get some graphics that do not incorporate purple.

Balance in the universe will be restored.  😎

• Member Contributer
2 minutes ago, TimC said:

Congrats on the new acquisition!  Looks to be in decent shape cosmetically.  I hope the same is true for what we can't see.  🙂

Yeah...   lowers coming off soon for a closer look.  From what I saw crawling around with a flashlight, everything is in much better shape than the $400 1990.  Pretty sure this is a Cali bike too.  Hoping it has some aftermarket front springs in it, feels like it.

I just wanted all the bodywork to be there and be fixable without major surgery.  Just that right Lower will need some extra attention.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

This will eventually be a full RestoMod with repaint.  It will likely not be staying the same color, but if it is "black" (Granite Blue) it will get some graphics that do not incorporate purple.

My vote is pearl white with a grey seat. I still believe the 3rd gen to be the best looking VFR of all time, something about the lines and proportions speaks to me. Great find!

• Member Contributer

Someone on here has posted a photo of a black 3rd gen with white wheels - looks killer.  Can't recall if it's the 92 paint scheme or respray tho.  Have to agree that Honda really nailed it with the white '93 - pure magic - just a certain something.  The '92 wheels are almost a dead ringer for the 2008 color.  When I got my '92 8 spoke, I just mounted and tire and bolted it on - no one ever mentioned or asked if it wasn't the original 2008 color.   The parts fiche described it as "Iron Nail Silver". 

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

...if it is "black" (Granite Blue) it will get some graphics that do not incorporate purple.

Graphics without the purple, eh? There are two other graphics that Honda used on black 3rd gens that both look better than the purple set you have. I changed to this VFR graphic on mine a few years ago, and have a spare set if you decide on black. then I used some red pinstripe tape to cover the purple on the swish stripe under the seat.

I also painted the wheels pearl white, and stripped the fork lowers then polished 'em by hand with emery paper/scotchbrite & Solvol Autosol. Two years and 20K km later the forks still glistened. Swapped on an old Supertrapp muffler and a set of Y2K VFFR800 mirrors, too. I should have kept this VFR - ah the impatience of youth.

gallery_6146_6562_17551.jpg

• Member Contributer

Forgot to note that your VFR is missing the stalk-style signals. I assume the signals are now either side of the brake light, but their red lenses can be swapped for the amber ones used on 4th gen VFR750s.

• Member Contributer

Forgot to note 2: if you want slightly higher handlebars but still want them to look factory and option is to fit a set of '98-'01 VFR800 'bars. They are about 16mm /  " taller, but require a little trimming as the locating pin is in a different location. The bars from VTec VFR800s can fit but require a 1mm shim as they use 43mm forks.

Lastly, if you find that your gas tank makes a buzzing sound when the fuel level is low there is a way to fix that. There is a spot welded brace just ahead of the filler opening that can vibrate. If I find the Honda maintenance video I'll post a link.

• Member Contributer
23 minutes ago, Lorne said:

Graphics without the purple, eh? There are two other graphics that Honda used on black 3rd gens that both look better than the purple set you have. I changed to this VFR graphic on mine a few years ago, and have a spare set if you decide on black. then I used some red pinstripe tape to cover the purple on the swish stripe under the seat.

I also painted the wheels pearl white, and stripped the fork lowers then polished 'em by hand with emery paper/scotchbrite & Solvol Autosol. Two years and 20K km later the forks still glistened. Swapped on an old Supertrapp muffler and a set of Y2K VFFR800 mirrors, too. I should have kept this VFR - ah the impatience of youth.

gallery_6146_6562_17551.jpg

That's it!  :wub:

• Member Contributer

I mentioned there was a video from American Honda showing how to eliminate/reduce the buzzing from some 3rd Gen fuel tanks. A baffle spot welded under the top front of the tank might be just a little too close to the tank and ~5k rpm could create a hell of a racket. 

This is a dupe of a dupe of an old VHS tape so the quality is terrible, but it should give you a good idea of the problem.

Btw, the tool would hard to find nowadays but you can access from the bottom of the tank thru by removing the fuel level sensor. Be careful so as not to dent the tank with your efforts.

VFR750 tank buzz fix

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, Lorne said:

Forgot to note that your VFR is missing the stalk-style signals. I assume the signals are now either side of the brake light, but their red lenses can be swapped for the amber ones used on 4th gen VFR750s.

The bike had the turn signals, but both stays had failed so I removed them for photos.  I will run the red or a set of amber lenses I already have as turn signals.  

I'll also run a Euro taillight I have that has the clear panel to illuminate the plate.  But of course it's also easy to modify the stock taillight with a clear panel or use a tiny LED.

• Member Contributer

I like the stock colors. Just clean and and don't paint it!

• Member Contributer
16 minutes ago, bmart said:

I like the stock colors. Just clean and and don't paint it!

That's what will happen initially.  I'll go thru all the systems, remove the PAIR / CA bullshit, completely rebuild the carbs.  Give it a few really good baths and a detail.  Shock needs to be rebuilt, forks seals leak, and it needs tires.

The Purple is gone at some point tho.

When the time comes I will be interested in seeing the final paint colours 

I have a 1992 VFR750 I bought as a spare, it was owned by a guy who was learning the art of powder coating, so my 91 has dark gray wheels like the 1992 ( Captain 80s has ) and the brake calipers were done in candy red. 

The previous owner did such a nice job I kind of hate to have the wheels and calipers redone, so I am keen to see what others have come up with for different color combinations

Was never a fan of black but the 92 with white wheels from BC Canada looks great

• Member Contributer
33 minutes ago, Hingley said:

When the time comes I will be interested in seeing the final paint colours 

I have a 1992 VFR750 I bought as a spare, it was owned by a guy who was learning the art of powder coating, so my 91 has dark gray wheels like the 1992 ( Captain 80s has ) and the brake calipers were done in candy red. 

The previous owner did such a nice job I kind of hate to have the wheels and calipers redone, so I am keen to see what others have come up with for different color combinations

Was never a fan of black but the 92 with white wheels from BC Canada looks great

I see you have a CB-1.  I restored one for my wife where I changed up the colors for something different, but so it still looked like Honda could have done it that way.  I'll have a similar approach to the 92 VFR.

20210203_194002.thumb.jpg.40159c1536ab2382475b1039ca68d223.jpg

Very nice indeed, That CB1 looks far better in Red than the original Blue.

I redid my CB1 years ago and I must see if I have a picture or two to share, I went with a bright silver with a seat cowling something like the RC30 with white painted number panels on the sides. You are making me want to get that old girl out into the daylight again.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, DannoXYZ said:

Yeah! Red looks much better than original blue!

1994-97 VFR Red with a little extra gold metallic.  It absolutely POPS outside.  I was surprised how different it was sitting next to my 1995 VFR.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, DannoXYZ said:

Yeah! Red looks much better than original blue!

I was thinking the CB-1 was available in red at one time.  Maybe it was just the NT-650 Hawk, which has a similar silhouette. 

Archived