Coolant for my 5th Gen - UK

Skids

• Member Contributer

What are folk using for coolant on their 5th Gens in the UK?

The good old (Haynes) book says 50% distilled water, 50% corrosion inhibited ethylene glycol but I can't find this combination anywhere.

• Member Contributer

Myself and others use the Honda automotive coolant with good success. The dye  is a slightly different shade of green than the powersports version, but it's otherwise the same.  Sold in the US by the gallon,  it's far more economical than the powersports counterpart. 

• Member Contributer

That's all great guys, but I'm in the UK. I'll try Honda but I imagine it's quite expensive compared to some branded solutions. 

I don't need a guide, I need an available brand on the UK. 

Thanks for your replies though. :beer:

• Member Contributer
39 minutes ago, Skids said:

That's all great guys, but I'm in the UK. I'll try Honda but I imagine it's quite expensive compared to some branded solutions. 

I don't need a guide, I need an available brand on the UK. 

Thanks for your replies though. :beer:

I've used Castrol motorbike coolant for the last 20 years in mine and not had any problems. FWIW.

• Member Contributer
50 minutes ago, Bren said:

I've used Castrol motorbike coolant for the last 20 years in mine and not had any problems. FWIW.

:beer:

• Member Contributer

Any coolant suitable for alloy engines will do. Unless you expose your bike to sub -10 C temps, you can use 75% distilled water & 25% antifreeze. This helps the cooling too 👍

• Member Contributer

IIRC reducing the ratio of ethylene glycol reduces the boiling point a bit, but the water replacing that volume has a higher specific heat index so can carry away more heat so boiling, even at a lower temp is much less likely.  I've been running that ratio in my bikes,  working fine. 

If you start with premix 50/50, to get the 75/25 ratio, add 1/2 the total system volume of premix, that will provide 1/4 each of the water / glycol system totals (.5 × .5 of each).  Then fill the remaining half of the system volume with demineralized water to bring the water portion to .25 + .5 = .75.   If unsure of system totals, measure the mix separately in a container and add as needed.

• Member Contributer

There are a lot of charts available for freezin/cooling/overheating related to ratio of water to glycol. I suggest that you have a look w/Mrs. Google helping. 

Archived