Bar risers revisited.

trmoyer

I’ve searched and read up on what I could find here. Pondering a set of risers of some sort but the current options are slim picking. I’ve used Heli on my Hayabusa with success but I’m not really looking to spend Heli $$$ this time and I’ve looked at the Moto-CNC option from the UK. Very different options……

What is your opinion or experiences? 

• Member Contributer

Haven't done my 5g yet, but on my 6g I had Heli's... bike got hit and knocked over and one bent.  I found a member selling used Gen-Mar risers, which are equivalent to Moto-CNC.  I think they are great and not far off the Heli's... and MUCH less expensive.

Glad I never ditched the OEM bars when I originally put the Heli's on...

My 5th has the Moto CNC bar adapters.  For bars, I am a repeat user of the long-discontinued Heli Multi-Tour Sport handlebars, an adjustable pipe bar set that can drive one crazy trying to get everything perfectly symmetrical.  Once you do, you can do any angle or location you want.

Most people use ordinary 7/8" pipe bars with this Moto CNC adapters, and it's really easy.  There are miles of extra wires for the handlebar switches under the instruments and the brake and clutch hoses were no problem to relocate, needed in my case as I raised the grip positions a good deal.

This was the third time I use Moto CNC adapters (ZX-9R, 6th gen VFR) and couldn't be happier.

In the photo, you can see that in my particular case, the wide horizontal Heli base bar necessitated adding 30mm risers to clear the fork adjusters.  With ordinary pipe bars, that won't happen and is not defect in the adapters.  It's a quirk of the Heli design.

VFR Moto CNC.jpg

• Member Contributer
On 4/1/2022 at 3:09 PM, trmoyer said:

Pondering a set of risers...

Here are a couple of options for you.

Cheapest is to raise your stock 'bars up the fork about ½ to ¾ inches. Be careful that the clamping bolt is not above the fire tube.

If you require more then an LSL Superbike kit might suit you. Note that this kit is for the 6th Gen VTec VFR800 which uses 43 mm forks, but a shim could be fashioned out of 1 mm sheet and curved to fill the gap.

A number of sites list the kit for the 5th Gen VFR800. Availability is unclear but worth a Google search to find out.

This photo shows what the kit looks like on my 6th gen, and here is my write-up of the install: Yet Another Lsl Handlebar Install 

6th gen LSL kit.jpg

• Member Contributer

Genmar worked great on my old FJs. 

I have Helis on the '98. They're mildly better than the stock, but certainly not worth the $, IMHO. They allow the levers to rotate to where humans can use them comfortable, which is nice compared to stock or Genmar options. I'd like a set of the fully adjustable ones, but they're way out of my price range, especially for two bikes. 

There are options….. I’m not sure I could go the “straight bar” style. Maybe one day if I turn this into more of a stripped down cafe style with other mods. 

Adjustability to a point would be nice. I agree that Heli Bars are “ok” but not the fix all for everyone. When I used them on my Busa’s they helped but only so much. I like hearing everyones opinions as we all have a bit different take/opinion, wants and needs for this mod. 

I currently have the cnc-moto risers on my 6th gen and they do work out pretty well.      I have seen and been tempted by the “Hurricane” handle bar kit from Webbike.  It’s a nice kit with holes predrilled in the handlebar and no need for any extended cables.   Pricey at $309.00 shipped to California but looks quality.  

46A4F07F-372F-4B92-9DC2-C4D0A28FCEBF.jpeg

I think the CNC Moto risers might be my way forward at this point. Staying with the clip-ons keeps the esthetics original for me and only the keen eye of others will notice at a glance. Maybe down the road if I strip the bike down and make a cafe style out of her then I’ll swap over the a straight type bar config. 

I've only had straight bars on a couple bikes, a 2013 MV Agusta Brutale 1090 and a 2015 BMW GSA. Very different motorcycles with very different intent and attitude. On those, the straight bar worked as it was meant to. Maybe I’m a bit set in my ways and resist change to much lol. The Brutale was a total hooligan wheelie monster and sounded wicked with the full Arrow Ti exhaust……. 

Quick update folks. I purchased a pair of used Genmar spacers from a member in the Honda VFR800 Owners group on FB. $25, I couldn’t resist. For the cost if they didn’t work as I’m wanting then I’d resell them or set them on the bench. I gave them a quick wipe / clean, installed and now I need to get the weather to cooperate to try them out. Probably the simplest 6 minute mod I’ve done in a long long time. I think I’ve fiddled longer with new seats on bikes than I did the spacers lol. 

• 7 months later...
  • Member Contributer
On 4/16/2022 at 4:26 PM, trmoyer said:

Quick update folks. I purchased a pair of used Genmar spacers from a member in the Honda VFR800 Owners group on FB. $25, I couldn’t resist. For the cost if they didn’t work as I’m wanting then I’d resell them or set them on the bench. I gave them a quick wipe / clean, installed and now I need to get the weather to cooperate to try them out. Probably the simplest 6 minute mod I’ve done in a long long time. I think I’ve fiddled longer with new seats on bikes than I did the spacers lol. 

Well how did you like the Genmars? I have similar risers fitted but I'm never happy that the clip on now grips the fork tube so high up and there's an inch or more not clamped, been considering helibars but they seem so much hassle on a bike with the choke cable/lever like my early 5th gen.

• Member Contributer

I have non Genmar risers. They're fine, but the levers can't be tilted down to teh right spot. That seems like the largest bug with spacer style instead of new bars. 

Archived